my stock stereo is broke

This is a discussion on my stock stereo is broke within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the damn thing is stuck, i can't turn the station, can't change the volume and can't turn it off. the ...

my stock stereo is broke

the damn thing is stuck, i can't turn the station, can't change the volume and can't turn it off. the display stays lit after the keys are out of the ignition (but thankfully, no sound comes from the speakers). i'm gonna try pulling the fuse (as anyone knows who works with computers, turning it off and back on usually fixes anything). strangest thing ive ever seen. the subaru dealer would take at least a couple of days to diagnose/fix the problem, with about a week of lag time to get a new radio in, so if any of you have any ideas how i could fix it myself, itd be much appreciated.

it could be worse, i could be stuck on the all celine dion all the time station at full volume.

thanks, meyers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So did the fuse thing work? At least you were able to turn it off that way, but does it work now? I've got to wisdom to offer.

well, pulling the fuse didnt work. it stopped the music, but it didnt turn off the display on the radio. plugged it back in and nothing changed. anyone else got anything?

take the trim off from the stereo...first your going to need to open the cupholder, and unscrew that(2 screws) pull that out, then you can pull the trim off. Unscrew the radio...6 screws...pull it out and remove the harness from the back by pushing down on the tab..this will remove all power to the unit. Leave it unplugged for like a few minutes or so then plug her back in and see what happens..this fixed my problem. good luck

thanks aaron, i'll try it out as soon as my rex gets out of the shop.

meyers

silly girl, red means stop...

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    I've had the same thing happen to mine, and a couple others (all interestingly were '03s... hm).

The easy way (that doesn't involve tackling the taking apart of your dash) is to just unplug your battery. I pulled every fuse I could and it didn't work, so short of taking apart the dash as suggested, I just unpluged the battery. Worked like a charm, only drawback is your trip odometer will get reset as will all your presets and bass/treb. settings. (of course, those would get reset in the above suggestion anyway.)

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

Originally posted by Vostok 7
    I've had the same thing happen to mine, and a couple others (all interestingly were '03s... hm).

The easy way (that doesn't involve tackling the taking apart of your dash) is to just unplug your battery. I pulled every fuse I could and it didn't work, so short of taking apart the dash as suggested, I just unpluged the battery. Worked like a charm, only drawback is your trip odometer will get reset as will all your presets and bass/treb. settings. (of course, those would get reset in the above suggestion anyway.)

Vostok 7
    If you unplug your battery, your ecu will reset. The problem is that after a reset, your gas mileage will go down to the mid teens and the car will run very poorly. It will take around 2 to 3 tanks before you're back to normal. There is a way to speed up the ecu learning process. It was posted by Shiv, but I don't know the subject heading.
    Thanks,
    Ali

Ahh... nothing like bringing up old threads.

I'd just like to say thanks for the resource. I'm a FNG to this forum but I was able to find what I needed using the search button. I just got a '03 WRX and was having this exact same problem.

I've spent the last 6 years in a Miata so I'm now going though a little adjustment period. One more question though. How do you put the damn top down on these cars?!

/Lurk mode on

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwillen
    take the trim off from the stereo...first your going to need to open the cupholder, and unscrew that(2 screws) pull that out, then you can pull the trim off. Unscrew the radio...6 screws...pull it out and remove the harness from the back by pushing down on the tab..this will remove all power to the unit. Leave it unplugged for like a few minutes or so then plug her back in and see what happens..this fixed my problem. good luck
    You don't have to remove those screws to pull the trim ring. Use a pick, and gently nudge the trim ring. It's held in place by clips, not screws. Common mistake even my highly paid installers make.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zedsded
    Ahh... nothing like bringing up old threads.

I'd just like to say thanks for the resource. I'm a FNG to this forum but I was able to find what I needed using the search button. I just got a '03 WRX and was having this exact same problem.

I've spent the last 6 years in a Miata so I'm now going though a little adjustment period. One more question though. How do you put the damn top down on these cars?!

/Lurk mode on
    Welcome, and thank you for searching!!!
    (no need to lurk, join in and have some fun )