swapping boost gauges

This is a discussion on swapping boost gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have the factory boost gauge, but i wanna swap it out for a PSI one. would it work just ...

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...

swapping boost gauges

i have the factory boost gauge, but i wanna swap it out for a PSI one. would it work just to leave all the wiring and hosing where it is, and just switch the gauge itself? and how do i remove the stock? is it bolted down or what? i don't mind the location, but i hate that MPa noncense. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey thats exactly what I want to do, come guys give us a hand

I don't know what size the hose is to the stock boost gauge - but I think most other mechanical boost gauges could be made to work (possibly with an adapter to re-size the vacuum/boost source hose).
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by is2scooby
    I don't know what size the hose is to the stock boost gauge - but I think most other mechanical boost gauges could be made to work (possibly with an adapter to re-size the vacuum/boost source hose).
    Your most likely right, i don't see how they would use a hose so drastically different to not allow one to change, if worst comes to worst you could rig something up, like a hose to hose change. Very few gauges you can buy (that i know of) are as small as the factory gauge, you could use the wiring and the boost plumbing and just buy your own mount for it and be ok.

i know this is a stupid question, but the stock gauge is a mechanical one, right? only reason i ask is cause i seen electronic ones that look the same as the mech ones. what is the difference anyway?

a mechanical boost gauge has the boost line running all the way up to the gauge, where an electronic boost gauge has the boost line running to a sending unit in the engine bay, and a wire running from the sending unit to the boost gauge.
    mechanical boost gauges have a hose coming off the back, where electronic gauges only have 2 wires (on mine at least).
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

ah, i see. thanks bryan