Oil Pressure Gauge
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil Pressure Gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking for some advice on installing an oil pressure gauge on my 2002 WRX sedan. Should I choose electronic ...

Question Oil Pressure Gauge

I'm looking for some advice on installing an oil pressure gauge on my 2002 WRX sedan.

Should I choose electronic or mechanical and how tough is installation? Where does the sending unit go?

Also.... how do you all like Autometer?

Thanks.
    Dennis

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Go electronic with mechanical you have to have a line of oil running into the cabin. The sensor mounts in a factory bung under the intercooler. you can find install instructions with pics on scoobymods.com, the sender mounts in different places depending on your brand of choice.
    Alex

Dennis,

Go with electronic. I have the Autometer Phantom Mech. Oil Pressure gauge and hate it. It keeps leaking! I am planning on switching to Greddy white faced 52mm.

You can mount the sensor behind the alternator or under the intercooler. If you use the alternator location then you lose your idiot light.

I've installed some gauges and have some good advice. I like the price of the VDO gauges but the install is difficult because of their unusual connections to the senders.

Try the Omori gauges. They are reasonably priced, look like the stock gauges, and are more easily installed. The sandwich fitting, between the filter an the block, makes the oil pressure and temp sender install easy and reliable.

Had I to do it over, that's waht I'd do.

You can find them here and here and here.

If you need any more assistance, let me know.

X

I believe new omori gauges are temporarily unavailible due to issues in omori america. I inquired about some about a month ago and all they had was what is left over and they were unsure about when they will be able to stock them again.
    Alex

Originally posted by MisterX
    I've installed some gauges and have some good advice. I like the price of the VDO gauges but the install is difficult because of their unusual connections to the senders.

Try the Omori gauges. They are reasonably priced, look like the stock gauges, and are more easily installed. The sandwich fitting, between the filter an the block, makes the oil pressure and temp sender install easy and reliable.

MisterX, I'm very interested in Vdo oil pressure and oil temp gauges. How tricky is the install? Can you provide details.

Also, Ilike the idea of the sandwich senders, but are they available w/o the guages and will they work w/ the Vdo gauges?

thanks.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I do not recommend the VDO gauges. The senders are too hard to install and to connect to. The oil temp gauge has a "nail head" connector and I still haven't found an electrical fitting to work properly with it. I used the defi sandwich to install my senders. I had to have it remachined to accept the VDO sender.

Omori sells a sandwich and all the correct fittings to install their gauges. You may have a difficult time finding them (try alamo autosports) but I think they're worth the few extra dollars.

X

MisterX, thanks for your reply but I'm still a bit confused. I do like Omori but at ~$130 per gauge, that's still to high, especially when Vdo gauges are less than half that. And I don't like the look of the Autometer needles, so my only option right now are the Vdos.

So you're telling me that the back of the gauge is a "nailhead", do you mean the kind where you need to wrap the wire around the base? Also, I like the idea of the sandwich sender, what do you mean by re-machining to work w/ the Vdo sender? So you're saying that the sandwich sender you have from defi is not directly compatible with Vdo gauges (compatible meaning, a simple wire spice).

If this is the case, then I guess I'll keep searching. If your set-up works well, and you;re willing to part with it for something "nicer", let me know.

Again, thanks for your comments.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

The oil temp sender has a nailhead. The VDO gauges are good looking and, IMO, good quality. If you're willing to spend the extra time to install them and get them working properly, go for it. I bought mine at http://www.egauges.com.

I bought the sandwich from the vendor referenced on the defi site. Omiri sells a similar unit. The sandwich is machined with 1/8 NTP, tapered thread, bungs to fit the senders to. The bung I chose to use for the oil temp sender was a bit to narrow at the end to allow ther probe to fit. The cost to open it up was about $20.

I'm not planning to sell my gauges, thanks.

If you need any more help, let me know. Whare are you located again?

X

Thanks for the discription. I think I understand the issues now. I do like the Vdos so I'll probably find a way to get them in. If you have pics, I would ofcourse be interested.

BTW, I'm up in Michigan.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I don't have any pics. But I can offer plenty of support when you install. egauges.com is right near you. They ship the same day the order is placed and their customer service is exceptional!

Russ

Regarding the nail head senders, an appropriately sized female blade terminal connector will usually work.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

Dennis,
    I'm trying to do the same thing your doing. Got my VDO Vision gauges and senders from egauges.com. Ordered all the other fixing (pod,oil pressure adapter,temp adapter, and boost tubing kit)from jbherbert which is in the mail. I agree with herbert about the female connector. Its going to cost me about half as much as subaru charges for their gauge pod and everthing is of good quality. Should be a good setup.
    WRXMECHMAN

Just wanted to update:

So I got my Vdo gauges as well (oil temp and pressure) and their respective senders. After looking up the install options on Scoobymods.com and PM'ing MisterX, I've looked into the sandwich type of fitting that fits between the oil filter and engine block. These sandwich things have two attaching points, perfect for both temp and pressure. MisterX recommended either Defi or Omori.
    BTW, these sandwich things are normally used to tap the oil for an oil cooling system...for domestic cars they run ~$30...for our cars...well I found a Blitz sandwich over at the vendors section of Nasioc for $90 shipped , I'm still looking into the Defi...can't find Omori yet. But I have a feeling that it's a costly beast.

If it's too expensive (ie.,$90), then I guess I'll have to go with the difficult install under the IC. I figure a T-fitting so i can tap it for both temp and pressure...crows feet wrench...here I come.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I looked at the oil pressure install at scooby mods and it looks like a good way to to get the pressure. I'm not sure temp readings would be accurate though because it looks like the oil doesn't circulate freely in that area. Besides, there is only one port.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.