Column mounted
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Column mounted within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Howcome i never see anyone with their boost gauge mounted on the left side of the steering column? It seems ...

Column mounted

Howcome i never see anyone with their boost gauge mounted on the left side of the steering column? It seems better over there as the tach is more important that seeing coolant temp, am i missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I guess its simply because not many people have the pods that go there I'm sure if someone made a nice neat pod that didnt require drilling, then alot of people would jump on it.

EDIT: I just re-read what you wrote, I dont know why people dont do that. I suppose it comes down to personal preference or being "right eyed" or "left eyed"
    - Jason

South East Region
    2002 Black and Bronze WRX

"hihihi" - R.I.P. Jonathan Braxton Hawkins -

what about the band one, couldn't you just turn it around?

hmm... i think i subconsciously conformed to society on this one. i never even thought about it to tell you the truth... you might be on to something. the band mount would work in this way since you custom bend the base to fit whatever you want it to fit, and the screws arent necessary for a solid mount, so if you dont like it, pull it up (it was stuck on pretty good though).
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

I just think that the left would be better, thats what i'll probably do. I'll just buy the band and put it on the left. Thats where my gauge is now (with electrical tape )

The dealer installed mine on the right side. I assumed thats where they all go from the manufacturer?!? Also the optional boost gauge is a perfect fit for my seating position. If I look at the tach the only part I can see if the gap between the 1 and the 9 in the bottom of the tach. It doesn't obstruct my view at all.
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain

Yea, but the dealer one is a little smaller than my 52mm one, and i just think it looks better on the left. Maybe it's just me?

I placed mine on the right so I can see a direct correlation between boost and RPM. I get no obstruction.

I agree some people just do it out of subaru's precedence, but I think the right side for my reason is a valid one for most.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Well that makes sense, does anybody have it on the left though???

yeah i do like being able to see boost vs. rpm very easily.
    and just to let you know my gauge is a 52mm, and with the band holder, which doesnt add any diameter, its a fine size to nestle in under my tach. i can see from 0 to 8500 rpms.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Alright, well now i'm undecided thanks a lot!

its an easy answer... take your gauge and hold it in various spots. try to sit like you would when driving. wherever you like it the most is where you should mount it... thats what i did to figure out where i wanted mine.
    just get the band holder and you can put it on either side when you figure it out.
    o-|-<) bryan

www.TriStateTuners.com

Try this reason on for size.

Put your hands in driving/shifting positions.

Now look at your gauges.

When I do this, I assume my left arm would block the coolant gauges, and the left side placed boost guage.(this I'm assuming since I don't have a rex yet).

The right side is clear because you right hand is on the shifter. Also the reason the tach is on the right side.

Just my opinion.

Also, if you look at this thread, and the picture my thoughts are based on Pics of my Greddy Boost Gauge mounted on my steering column , The boost gauge only covers part of the red zone, not anything important.
    Last edited by headcase; 02-14-2003 at 08:02 AM.

Originally posted by headcase
    Try this reason on for size.

Put your hands in driving/shifting positions.

Now look at your gauges.

When I do this, I assume my left arm would block the coolant gauges, and the left side placed boost guage.(this I'm assuming since I don't have a rex yet).

The right side is clear because you right hand is on the shifter. Also the reason the tach is on the right side.

Just my opinion.
    Oh, thats a good point, but currently it is on the left, w/ electrical tape, and i don't recall it obstructing anything

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.