Premium Sound owners, have you noticed this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Premium Sound owners, have you noticed this? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I listen to all types of music except country and most rap. My main type of music is electronic music, ...

Premium Sound owners, have you noticed this?

I listen to all types of music except country and most rap. My main type of music is electronic music, techno mostly. I keep the bass set at 2 or 3 and treble at 1.

I noticed on most music, when turning the volume up past 10, the bass reaches top volume and the treble just keeps going up. I have found a few songs that don't do this. But most do. Anybody else notice this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With the premium speakers, I set bass and trebel at 0 and the sound is OK. Not good, OK. Add bass and it all goes to hell.

X

I set bass to 0 and treble to 5. Clarity! (well, sort of)
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Don't forget that you can also adjust gain and crossover on the subwoofer.

I also run 0 bass and 3 treble.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can adjust the sub??? How?!?!?! Where?!?!! Tell me!

Oh, and what does 'gain' and 'crossover' do?
    2010 SSM STI

There are two little dials on the side where the plug comes in.

Gain increases volume, Crossover point adjusts the highest frequency the speaker reaches (ie, 80hz, 100hz, etc). The lower the frequency, the deeper the sound.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

I Support ClubWRX
    What should the dials be set at for 'normal' use?
    2010 SSM STI

Is this the sound system with the indash 6 cd stacker?

I think that is standard on the STi
    and I didn't know there was a sub woofer!

Do you have to take the seat out to adjust it?

What do you think is the best crossover setting?

Originally posted by verbal
    Do you have to take the seat out to adjust it?

What do you think is the best crossover setting?
    I didn't have to remove the seat to install mine, so I don't think it's necessary

The best settings are a matter of preference and really depend on the kind of music you listen to most. In general, for bass heavy music (like techno and hip hop) a lower crossover point will be better. For rock, punk, a little higher is better. Just make a note of where the dials are set before you begin, and experiment with it.

What is the best tool to manipulate the dials? I can't seem to get anything in that little area.

AJ
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

The way that you are supposed to set up the sub is to turn the volume to the level you'd have when driving on the highway, and you set the gains and stuff to what sounds nice to you at that volume, then you turn it down to normal residential/city volume, retweek it a little, turn it back up to highway volume, and do one final tweek.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't have the premium sound system - I completely replaced the whole system in my car - but I just thought of an idea for y'all.

Does the premium system come with any crossovers for the main speakers? Cutting out the bass frequencies that are produced by the sub will free up the main speakers from having to produce those frequencies, allowing it to reproduce the higher frequencies better. You can accomplish this by installing capacitors in the speaker wires. I've got a chart of the proper capacitors by frequency if anyone is interested.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Originally posted by GV27
    Does the premium system come with any crossovers for the main speakers? Cutting out the bass frequencies that are produced by the sub will free up the main speakers from having to produce those frequencies, allowing it to reproduce the higher frequencies better. You can accomplish this by installing capacitors in the speaker wires. I've got a chart of the proper capacitors by frequency if anyone is interested.

Chris
    Nope, crossover is sub only. I've never really been impressed by passive crossovers (capacitors). The ones that came with my MBQuart speakers were pretty nice, but you get what you pay for (and they were way more than just a cap). My personal philosophy is to adjust your amps/subs appropriately so that you can drop the stereo to a flat EQ. The speakers will usually be fine cuz you aren't cranking the bass to them, and instead the sub gain is raised to increase the bass volume. Of course, this is the first stock system that I haven't ripped out and replaced with high-end components, so the "tweakability" isn't quite the same. But I really like not having a 50-100lb subwoofer in the back, and having full use of my cargo space

Originally posted by Twanz02WRX
    What is the best tool to manipulate the dials? I can't seem to get anything in that little area.

AJ
    You'll need a flashlight and a small screwdriver. I believe the heads are the type where either a phillips or a flat head will work.

-Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast