G-Tech Pro Comp + 2.0 Firmware Report
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on G-Tech Pro Comp + 2.0 Firmware Report within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got and tested the new G-Tech Pro Competition with the latest 2.0 firmware. The unit is easy to use, ...

G-Tech Pro Comp + 2.0 Firmware Report

Just got and tested the new G-Tech Pro Competition with the latest 2.0 firmware. The unit is easy to use, was a cinch to calibrate, and seems to work flawlessly. Tesla Electronics alleges 0.005 seconds accuracy.

I screwed the permanent included mount into the ashtray using three of the four included screws. The 12 vold power cord can be stuffed into the ashtray itself and the installation looks like it might have been done by a pro.

Operation is a snap. In the run mode the unit displays a surprisingly accurate tach (you really don't need this; that's what that big black and white guage next to the speedometer is for).

To do a 0-60 and or 1/4 mile run all you do is make sure your Rex is stopped-push the OK button (the unit will wait patiently for you to get underway) and will begin recording and saving the data for later review.

What I like most is that all you do is push the button, ignore the unit, and concentrate on your driving. Incidently, I tried two different suction cup installations on the dash and decided against them.

I've done three 0-60 runs (no safe place to run the quarter here on the Cape). First run I stopped at a Rt 28 on ramp, did a moderate clutch smoking launch and logged a 5.781 second launch going uphill! Second, was a not so well executed 3,000 RPM in the flat run that netted a 5.92. And the best of the three (so far) a 5.622 4,000 RPM fairly hard drag launch.

The only two things I don't like are the polarized display screeen (the display is no longer legible with polarized sunglasses), and the fact that this little devil could wind up being VERY hard on your clutch.

$249 + $10 UPS shipping direct from Tesla 310-452-0030.

I'll give G-Tech Pro Comp ver 2.0 a 9 out of 10.

PS
    If you do the ash tray mount; it I'll be a snap to swap your G-Tech into your buddies Rex!

Regards
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review! Sounds like you're pretty pleased with the unit. If you ever get the chance - it would be interesting to run your car at a local dragstrip and have the Gtech-pro engaged at the same time and compare the #'s...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

is2 Scooby:

Taking the Rex to the 1/4 mile track for a G-Tech comparison is an excellent idea.

Unfortunately out here in snowy New England (especially this winter) I will have to wait until spring.

Maybe some other Rex owners in warmer climates (Hawaii ) will beat me to it.

Regards:
    Henry
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Thanks for the review Henry...I may have to put it on my list..
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Just hooked up the GTech Pro Competition Saturday night. Borrowed it from a friend. His is using firmware 1.2. It was 35 degrees. I ran 0-60 twice. First run was on a slight downhill and I got a 5.397. Though, wow, on a bone stock (well, restrictor mod) rex, that's pretty fast. Ran it again on a flatter course, with a better launch and got a 5.294.

Called my friend the next morning and told him that his toy was a POS. His opinion was that with the air temperature at 35 degrees, those numbers were quite possible. I'm soliciting opinions on his opinion before I move to Alaska.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.