Stero Amp Location-Where in a Wagon?

This is a discussion on Stero Amp Location-Where in a Wagon? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 03 wagon and want to help the anemic stereo. If possible I would like to use the ...

Question Stero Amp Location-Where in a Wagon?

I have an 03 wagon and want to help the anemic stereo. If possible I would like to use the factory head/CD unit. I have amps and Infinity sepaates from another vehicle. I think I can get an adapter to use the amps(the Infinity's are power hungry). Where are people locating the amps? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Blake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I didn't feel like spending to have a rack built so I just put mine under the driver's seat.

what about the area underneath the cargo area...you know where the little tray is? enough space?
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

You will need a line out converter LOC to turn the speaker leads into RCA for your amp. Even if your amp accepts speaker input, your signal will improve greatly by using a good quality LOC from www.davidnavone.com (I think that's right). Depending on the size of the amp, go under the seat or a more custom job would be to put it in the umbrella tray in the cargo area. I had asked about that tray area once, and one person said that they had done it. You're looking at 2.5" depth minimum and about 4" deep at the lowest point. I think that it's 11" wide, so not all amps will fit that part.

I went throught the same routine already. I ended up buying a single 5 channel amp (Alpine) which fits well under the front passenger seat. I think you will have a real hard time trying to fit multiple amps. If you are a true audiophile, you should probably scrap the stock head unit and go with a head unit that is a pre-amp only. I wanted to try and work with the stock HU, but I am just not satisfied with the amplified sound of the existing HU even with upgraded Infinity component speakers and a 10" polk subwoofer. As soon as it warms up I'm going to switch to a pre-amp only HU with CD changer. I have pics and description of a sub box design for a wagon elsewhere on this site if you are interested.

I have a MONSTER Amp its a Rockford Fosgate 1x800 but it tested at just over a 1,000 Watts! Even this thing fits under the passenger seat! I would suggest mounting it there. It will maintain its temperature better in the cabin then in the trunk especially on hot summer days. Then you only have to run speaker wires from the amp to the trunk for the box...
    Rubber Duckies Fair Well in the Rain