Garage Door Opener Mod

This is a discussion on Garage Door Opener Mod within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; here is a cool mod i found to eliminate the garage door opener by connecting it to your HIGHBEAMS... http://www.ecnet.net/users/gallery/e...or_opener.html...

Garage Door Opener Mod

here is a cool mod i found to eliminate the garage door opener by connecting it to your HIGHBEAMS...
    http://www.ecnet.net/users/gallery/e...or_opener.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmm, interesting.. especially since one of the things that drives me crazy about the WRX is no place to put the dang remote. Both my Dodges have overhead consoles for them.

Wouldn't the 12V to the opener while you were driving with your higbeams on fry the board? Not to mention what would happen driving through neighborhoods with your high beams

well most garage door openers work on a revolving code..after u use it once the code is then altered..now that is most openers not all..and secondly it would not fry the board either it would just be sending a constant signal through the control board of the opener..that would not harm it...it would be as if u r holding the button down...

Yeah, I know about the revolving code..... but there are still some that don't.. so it COULD happen

And I wasn't so worried about the constant use as I was the 12V... mot openers are using smaller batteries.. 3-9V.... THought maybe the 12V would cook thing. Could always add a voltage drop resister depending on the opener you have.

interesting... but i think most have better things to do with their time
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

LoL....jealous because you don't have a garage Eli?

Looks like a sweet mod. Can't wait to live in a house again....
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by ebr0t
    interesting... but i think most have better things to do with their time
    maybe, like plaster WRC stickers all across the side of their car? j/k

i have a garage
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I was wondering where to put my remote as well. It's been driving me crazy since I bought my car. I don't want to hang it from the visor. Anyone try and take it apart and hide it behind one of the "blank" buttons already in the car? That way, you could just install a button there which would push against the garage door opener button. Let me know cause I might be workin on that. Thanks.
    '02 WRX/STi

I mounted a button in the switch blank in the center console. There are some very good instructions here:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1283

It's relatively easy and looks good. I ended up putting the remote in the center console and taping it to the side so I can get to it to change batteries. I may end up putting it under the center section like the instructions show since it's easy to pull off .

slick204...did you actually take the garage door opener apart as in those instructions? I was a little leary about taking the thing apart, but if I have to, so be it. Just wondering. That is exactly where I wanted to put mine. Looks awesome though. Thanks.
    '02 WRX/STi

Yeah, I just pryed it apart. I've dropped it several times and it always comes completely apart. It's been abused but still works when snapped back together.

One thing in the instructions I didn't understand was which two of the 4 connections to connect the switch to. I ended up connecting the battery back up and using a screwdriver to short two points at a time until my door opened. No big deal.