Specific wiring question:
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Specific wiring question: within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I didn't see this addressed anywhere. My car has the premium sound upgrade. I replaced the head unit today and ...

Specific wiring question:

I didn't see this addressed anywhere.
    My car has the premium sound upgrade. I replaced the head unit today and wired in an amplifier. Has anyone seen the wiring harness behind the headunit on the upgraded models? The normal unit plug goes into a spliced harness which then connects to the factory radio.
    My guess would be that the add-in harness feeds power and signal to the amp/sub under the passenger seat. Is that all it does? Or are the door speakers also wired into that new plug?
    I bypassed that piece and wired my headunit to the normal plug, and then wired the speaker outputs from the amp into the speaker wires on the plug. Is this the correct method?
    Last edited by cyrilgrey; 02-02-2003 at 05:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK, I have not seen it but I would think that if there is a "T" harness, it is for the amp / sub. The door speakers are operational with or without the sub installed, so I would think that the sub is the only thing taken off the T. To see if you did it right, adjust the balance left to right, and the fader from front to back. Make sure you have equal sound from the four corners, if so, you are doing alright! There are plugin adaptors available for so many cars, was there not one available for ours?

I just poped my head unit out yesterday, in the quest to replace the cigarette light of all things. I have the premium sound system, and on the back of the head unit they were two large terminal block connectors. Only one has a connector going to it, and that is the one next to the antenna lead. The other connector was empty.

In regards to the sub-woofer, it is a powered unit than contains it own amp, and was told it actually sends the signal back to the head unit for cross-over and such. So in my car everything runs through the one connector.

Not sure if that answers you questions.

If it doesn't then I can look further into the factory shop manuals for you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.