Who's Opted for a Different Stereo?

This is a discussion on Who's Opted for a Different Stereo? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'm wondering how many people have kept the OEM in-dash 6-disc CD stereo ...

Question Who's Opted for a Different Stereo?

I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'm wondering how many people have kept the OEM in-dash 6-disc CD stereo or have opted for something else. I have a buddy who went over to an mp3 friendly system and he really enjoys the convenience. I've also heard so-so results from the stock upgrade speakers. Again, I'm not an audio guru so any advice from those of you here about what to look for, advantages/disadvantages, recommendations, etc would be great.
    Last edited by Ibizan; 01-27-2003 at 07:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ibizan,
    I always switch out the oem stereo. Not only because there are so many better, affordable aftermarket choices out there but because oem stereos tend to not be of the greatest quality. I really didn't have many complaints about the oem stereo in the WRX but I replaced it because I wanted to be able to listen to MP3s, just the convenience alone of not having to lug around my entire cd collection made it worthwhile for me. Now I carry most of my cd collection on just 7 cds. If you're looking to purchase a new car stereo, I suggest you go to a local stereo shop so that you can see the units in person. A unit may look great on your computer screen but once you get it, you might realize that the buttons are too small, or that it really wasn't what you were expecting.

So go to a local stereo shop and take note of the stereos that you liked. Then, do additional research online if you have to, sometimes it's easier to compare products when you have an entire list of features, rather than asking the stereo shop guys about all the special features on the unit. Then, once you've selected the unit you want, shop around. My unit originally cost around $350.00 but I got it for $180 or so on ebay brand new and with the manufacturers warranty.

I got the Panasonic CQ-DFX572U. I am really happy with the unit. If you're going to go with an MP3 player, make sure that you read the instructions on the manual for burning MP3s to cds. Some players will not accept playlists or Version 2 ID3tags. So just keep this in mind if you decide to go with an MP3 player.
    Here's the link for my stereo
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

You should see the units that are offered as optional in the European models. They have either a Clarion HU or a...yuck....Pioneer HU. They both look sharp and have great specs though.

Thanks for the great advice. Glad to hear you're enjoying your mp3 system. I have a portable mp3 for working out and the convenience alone is worth it (and I can't remember the last time I had to pay for a song). Rock on.

i have an eclipse 3422 head unit, 12" eclipse sub, MTX amp, boston speakers

i couldnt be more happy with it

extremely clear sound, and eclipse is excellent. The eclipse head unit may not have as much bling as other brands but the quality of the sound is amazing. I would try to buy eclipse if your going aftermarket. Its a hard brand to find, but worth it.