Who's Short-Shifting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Who's Short-Shifting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm curious as to how many folks have a short shifter. If so, do they work as well as they ...

Who's Short-Shifting

I'm curious as to how many folks have a short shifter. If so, do they work as well as they claim to? Also, can you recommend the brand/model you have? It's one of the few entry mods on my list that I'm heavily leaning towards. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Most people on this board that have a short shifer have the Kartboy. It's pretty cheap and it makes a world of difference. I have a Kartboy and am very happy with it. Makes for quicker shifting and you don't have to reach as far to put it into fifth gear. If you do get a S/S it's a good idea to replace the bushings. This makes for a smoother transition IMHO.

You might try doing a search. There should be plenty of info on this as this is one of the first mods many people do when they get their WRX.
    Good luck.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

Yep, I had already done a search. Even found a 2-page thread on recommended first mods but the short shifter was only mentioned a few times. Based on the ads I've seen, it seems pretty effective so I thought I'd ask.

You're right about the price for the Kartboy, less than half that of the STi shifter. Found one person who bought a Perrin, but no one could give him any reviews. Kartboy seems the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

I have the STi SS and love it. The STi is more expensive, but also remember it includes a redesigned shift linkage, too. When I was doing my homework the handful of people I found who had driven both a Kartboy and an STi preferred the STi, although most said it wasn't hugely better than the kartboy, just a little bit. Hope this helps!
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

I got my STI SS from the dealer so no hassle installing it. I think unless you really want an aftermarket piece then you should get the STI when you buy the car.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Originally posted by AutoXJunkie
    Hope this helps!
    Yep, it does.

In the end it's going to come down to how much dough I have for an after-market purchase. Based on what I've read here in the forum, a good set of 17" tires/wheels is heavily recommended, along with a good set of brakes. I'd also like to get a shifter trim, short shifter/bushings, shift knob, and who knows, maybe some indiglo gauges if I'm still high on mod buying.

The other perk to buying a rex is that She Who Must Be Obeyed will never run out of ideas for things to buy me for Xmas, bdays, anniversaries....arbor day, halloween, thanksgiving, 4th of July, boxing day, Tuesays, Wednesdays...

"She who must be obeyed" LOL

I have a Kartboy with the new bushings and I love it. Wanna see it? Here it goes.

Kartboy short shifter/Momo race airleather knob

Originally posted by wrxinthehouse
    [BWanna see it? Here it goes.[/B]
    Very nice You have the same shift knob I'm looking at as well. The '04 models will have silver trim rings around the gauges so I think that will look sharp with the new shift knob and the STi shifter trim. I plan to add an aluminum dead pedal to complement the others.

It will be tough waiting until July to buy but that just means my mod list will be longer.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll be looking for one now that they just became legal for D Stock in SCCA Autocross. I have to get the STi OEM (port installed) style from Subaru though, as others don't qualify.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I will be shortly! (pun not intended....sort-of) It's the factory one.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I have a *****racing one. (got it for free and don't like to advertise who I got it from). But it is the same as a kartboy and it really makes a difference that is worth spending the money on.

kartboy, works awesome too
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Before I bought my car, I test drove one without a SSK and almost didn't come back for another drive. I hated the feel and it reminded me of a mustang with those long shifts. I am very used to the short shifts of my miata and going with the short shift kit made a huge difference, to me, in the feel. If I recall correctly, the throws were long and I believe the shaft flexed a bit.

I have the factory kit but one day may add the kartboy bushings to it.

Tires are certainly the next most important mod! Power is no good if you can't stay on the road.
    2003 WRX WR Blue Wagon
    1999 Red Miata DRGN RDR

hey billio nice miate the teeth feature is great hah! what do you have done to the miata? are you a tall guy or a big guy. i'm about 6'2ish and i couldn't fit to tell in 1
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I would say I am a big guy. 5'10" 250#. Good Irish stock!!

I know I've seen some tall guys in our club that drive them regularly but I can imagine it would be a tight fit. I think the M1s ('90-'97) had a little more leg room than the newer ones.

As for performance mods, I've replaced the intake, header and exhaust and went with magnacore plug wires and run Mobil 1 in the engine and redline synth in the tranny and diff. I dynod at 128 hp at the rear wheels which should put me close to 160 at the crank. I've been pretty hard on my clutch and it is beginning to slip on cold days when I get on it so I plan to put in a fidenza lightened flywheel and new ACT clutch.

I run porterfield pads and have upgraded to brembo slotted/dimpled rotors all around. I replaced the factory shocks with KYBs and I'm getting ready to replace the sways. I have a 4 point rollbar in it and plan to do some serious track time this year.

I just finished putting in new leather seat covers and have a kenwood mp3 player.

Next year, I plan to add a cold side super charger and take it up to 200-220 hp at the rear wheels. That should put me in the low 13s. I probably need to be in the 250 range to hit 12s and that would most likely require a turbo instead.

It'll take a little work on the Wagon before I think it can hang in the curves with my miata. I know it will never handle as well as my miata but with a few mods and a power increase, hopefully it can makeup the difference.

In truth, I'll probably only change the uppipe and downpipe, brake pads and sways on the wagon and with new baby and such, that might take me a while to save up the funds!
    2003 WRX WR Blue Wagon
    1999 Red Miata DRGN RDR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.