Gauge Pod and Gauges
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauge Pod and Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been fighting over this problem since I got my car. I think I have figured it out. I think ...

Angry Gauge Pod and Gauges

I've been fighting over this problem since I got my car. I think I have figured it out. I think I'm gonna get this gauge pod and paint the face plate black. Then, get three Autometer gauges to put into it. I wanna get the gauges that are all black though. Total price is looking like around $250 depending on what gauges I get. What do you guys think? Let me know. Thanks.

Gauge Pod
    '02 WRX/STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VDO and Auto Meter make gauges with a black face.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_main.asp
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I think it's a great deal.

I wish that gauge pod had been available a couple months ago when I bought my factory gauge pod and spend HOURS modifying it to accept 52MM Autometer Sport Comps. It finally looks good, but damn it was hard to make it work out.....

I personally think the sport comps in black look perfect in a WRX. It looks very OEM, the silver rings match well with the silver trim of the car.

Hey, guys.

Thanks for looking at our products.

The pod is available with a matte black faceplate, so you shouldn't need to paint it. For black faced gauges, the AutoMeter SportComps are nice with a silver bezel, and the Z Series are solid black. VDO Cockpit gauges are also available with a black face.

Just to let you know, we're also starting work on a carbon fiber faceplate to go with the carbon fiber interior option. We should have it ready in a few weeks.

Thanks again!
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

Your stuff looks really well designed. I may get sick of my hack-job dremmelling/plexiglass faceplate soon and order one of your pods with the black front....

Thanks for the praise. As you well know, the hardest part was designing a fixture that allowed us to secure the oem cover for machining, while keeping the plastic from chipping or splitting. We have several mock-ups that were done via Dremel, and since I was responsible for those, I know how hard they are to do by hand.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

yep

yep, just heading off to the hobby shop to grab some foam as a basis for a carbon fiber pod..... probably get frustrated and call you guys looks like a nice piece. can you post a close up of the grain compared to the dash.

thanks

I assume by grain you mean the texture of the housing versus the texture of the dash. I'll try to get some pics for you, but in the meantime I'll tell you that it's near-perfect match. That's the advantage of starting with an OEM piece.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

WOW! I must say you might have solved a problem for many people. i will be purchasing your gauge pod on friday, whats the easiest and quickest way to order? thanks
    97 VW GTI VR6 Vortech 10psi--SOLD
    03 Platnium Silver WRX Stage4+ - SOLD
    05 Crystal Grey STi

Yeah, I am definitely going with the gauge pod with the black faceplate. I think that I am going to go with VDO gauges though, Boost/EGT/Oil Pressure. My new Apexi TT has an Air/Fuel gauge so I won't need that one. Thanks for all the feedback.
    '02 WRX/STi

Best bet is to just head over to the web site and go to the Catalog. You'll see the Gauge Pod for 2 1/16" Gauges listed. Choose your faceplate color and click Add to Cart. It's that easy. Of course, if you want to add some other stuff to the cart, that's great, too.

Thanks again!
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

For those of you who were wondering how the pod matched the dash, here is a closeup. You'll have to pardon the dust. The color difference is due to the sun hitting the housing at a different angle. Enjoy!

J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

Col
    Jbherbert,

Hi from down under (duplicate of my direct email).

As the Oz dollar is getting better (or is it the US getting worse…) I am seriously considering your pod but just some questions first.

Do you ship to Oz and if so can you advise approximate total cost including shipping thanks.

Secondly did you consider angling the gauges to the driver? Obviously this would mean different faces for LHD and RHD but overall better ergonomics. Finally with minimal protection from the sun (which I noticed in your close up photo) do you have any problems with reflections off the face of the dial when the sun is high.

Col:

I emailed you back regarding shipping.

As for the angling, due to the inherent limitations of the OEM housing, it really wasn't practicle. There would be no way to ensure a good fit on larger production runs. If we do decide to go this route in the future, we will likely end up designing and having molded a completely new cover. The gauges seem to only reflect when hit directly from the rear by sunlight. This is the case with most gauges. The AutoMeter gauges have a deep bezel which helps reduce glare.
    J.B. Hebert
    www.WRXtra.com

I got my pod in the mail yesterday. It looks quite nice and appears to be a real oem pod with all the right bits cut out to make it fit 52mm gauges. The face panel looks much more professional than I could have made myself. The texture is a perfect match since it was designed by Subaru. The cuts are very clean and look better than the results I get when I try to make something like this.

Since the pod itself normally runs $70 I would say this product is a good deal since the oem pod only accepts the tiny subaru gauges and doesn't come with a front panel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.