in-dash radar detector? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on in-dash radar detector? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Lithoss Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    Laser Jammers and Radar Jammers are illegal in the states of Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.
    I can't think of any actively emitting device not registered with the FCC that would be legal in any state. This makes active radar jammers almost certainly problematic (and I can't think of a functional passive jamming device). Light is another issue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I can't think of any actively emitting device not registered with the FCC that would be legal in any state. This makes active radar jammers almost certainly problematic (and I can't think of a functional passive jamming device). Light is another issue.
    i've never heard of anyone in our fine state getting in trouble for a jammer.
    why should a detector be illegal?
    its one of those laws that seems like the constitution should help us out.
    I believe you should have the right to know if you're being targeted, or at the very least should be allowed to recieve anything broadcast over the air. a kid with a elementary science kit could make an antenna tuned in to the signal of the radar gun. would he get a fine or whatever for that?
    That's like a state making a law that you can no longer tune your TV to channel 5...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    i've never heard of anyone in our fine state getting in trouble for a jammer.
    A passive device would be fine, and it would also almost certainly be completely useless (at least as a jammer; it might be useful to hold papers down or maybe it could be hollowed out and used as an ashtray).

why should a detector be illegal?
    Vote.

That's like a state making a law that you can no longer tune your TV to channel 5...
    Ever wonder why there is no "channel 1?" It's worth looking in to if you're interested in the law and broadcasting/emitting/receiving.

Look on the back of any wireless device or in the user's manual of any wireless device for the FCC ID and the provision stated that according to law the device is designed to cause no interference. A functional, active jammer doesn't exactly fit that profile.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-09-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

A passive device would be fine, and it would also almost certainly be completely useless (at least as a jammer; it might be useful to hold papers down or maybe it could be hollowed out and used as an ashtray).

Vote.

Ever wonder why there is no "channel 1?" It's worth looking in to if you're interested in the law and broadcasting/emitting/receiving.

Look on the back of any wireless device or in the user's manual of any wireless device for the FCC ID and the provision stated that according to law the device is designed to cause no interference. A functional, active jammer doesn't exactly fit that profile.
    I do vote

A couple years ago I did do a bit of research about channel 1 because i am incredibly curious about things like that.

How is it legal for companies to sell them if they cannot be used legally? (not trying to be argumentative, just curious)

If I were to use technologies such as a faraday cage, would I also then be breaking the law?

I Support ClubWRX
    I do vote
    Fantastic. One tip: I've registered absentee, and I get all ballots by mail. No going anywhere and I vote in all elections, even the most obscure (school boards, judges, stuff nobody shows up for).

How is it legal for companies to sell them if they cannot be used legally? (not trying to be argumentative, just curious)
    Active radar jamming devices? Either they don't emit, otherwise don't work, or aren't legal.

If I were to use technologies such as a faraday cage, would I also then be breaking the law?
    I don't know enough to say whether the letter and/or spirit would be broken, but a true Faraday cage would not pose a problem to communications outside it or inside it -- only to communications trying to cross it; plus, it does not emit or block actively (by jamming). A meat locker is a Faraday cage, as is any walk-in 4C or -20C freezer. They're not only legal, they're great places to be in this weather. Dries you right off.

Fantastic. One tip: I've registered absentee, and I get all ballots by mail. No going anywhere and I vote in all elections, even the most obscure (school boards, judges, stuff nobody shows up for).

Active radar jamming devices? Either they don't emit, otherwise don't work, or aren't legal.

I don't know enough to say whether the letter and/or spirit would be broken, but a true Faraday cage would not pose a problem to communications outside it or inside it -- only to communications trying to cross it; plus, it does not emit or block actively (by jamming). A meat locker is a Faraday cage, as is any walk-in 4C or -20C freezer. They're not only legal, they're great places to be in this weather. Dries you right off.
    excellent advice, i find it hard to make it out to the little elections. especially when i live in a different zone that I vote...

LOL on the active jammers.

and + a lot to the walk-in freezers. i lost a job at a johnny rockets because i fell asleep in it one time, LOL

I Support ClubWRX
    excellent advice, i find it hard to make it out to the little elections. especially when i live in a different zone that I vote...
    The only "downside" (although I don't consider it one) is that your district may label you a prime candidate for jury duty.

LOL on the active jammers.
    It's an odd industry position to be in I guess -- if your stuff works, you can't sell it legally. I can think of few other industries that are like that -- human "pheromones" sold as something that'll make the wearer attractive to others are about the only other example I can come up with off the top of my head.

and + a lot to the walk-in freezers. i lost a job at a johnny rockets because i fell asleep in it one time, LOL
    That's a shame! For my money, Johnny Rockets has some of the best malts and shakes around, and I love the dated diner atmosphere.

I don't think I can argue with your logic, i agree... i was just pulling info off of various 'official' sources... Next best thing to wading through the real law literature, which I'm not about to go do.

http://guysoflidar.com/faq.html#1

Are Radar Detectors Legal?

In the US, Radar detectors are legal for passenger vehicles in 49 states. Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia and Washington DC. Federal Law prohibits the use of radar detectors in all commercial vehicles over 10000 pounds. Radar detector use is also illegal on military bases.

In Canada, only Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan allow the use of radar detectors.

The only "downside" (although I don't consider it one) is that your district may label you a prime candidate for jury duty.

It's an odd industry position to be in I guess -- if your stuff works, you can't sell it legally. I can think of few other industries that are like that -- human "pheromones" sold as something that'll make the wearer attractive to others are about the only other example I can come up with off the top of my head.

That's a shame! For my money, Johnny Rockets has some of the best malts and shakes around, and I love the dated diner atmosphere.
    meh, i'm so nosey jury duty wouldn't be the death of me.

Working pheromones are illegal to sell???

Ya, don't look at how many calories are in 1 serving of one of their shakes, LOL. (btw you get between 2 and 3 servings at most restaurants)

I Support ClubWRX
    meh, i'm so nosey jury duty wouldn't be the death of me.
    They tend to throw me off jury right away also.

Working pheromones are illegal to sell???
    Not for animals, and in fact for animals they fall under less severe registration regulations than, say, insecticides since these tend to be things like neurotoxins. However, nobody's actually done the equivalent for humans because (a) registering a compound that alters human behavior costs a boatload of money and involves a boatload of testing -- thankfully and (b) selling a human pheromone that would actually work could be financial suicide -- if I sell a product that makes someone irresistible as advertised and it actually works, am I responsible when they are assaulted? Better still, can lawyers argue that I'm responsible (after all, that's all that's needed to make things expensive)?

Now all that doesn't mean people don't sell things that are "pheromones" for human use. It only means that what they sell neither works nor is intended to work -- it's only intended to sell.

Ya, don't look at how many calories are in 1 serving of one of their shakes, LOL. (btw you get between 2 and 3 servings at most restaurants)
    I have weighed over 100 kg most of my adult life. At some stage I'll have to make some decisions (I've looked around, and 100 kg 80-year-olds are quite rare...) but so far I'm active enough that at least some of my weight is due to my hobbies. I admit I sneak a shake once in a while!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12