air conditioner

This is a discussion on air conditioner within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello all... question about the A/C... when i test drove the WRX i noticed that the A/C compressor (when on) ...

air conditioner

hello all...

question about the A/C... when i test drove the WRX i noticed that the A/C compressor (when on) didn't really affect the idle (unlike other cars where there is a noticeable dip in RPMs) or performance (hardly noticeable at all actually)... is subaru using a different set up, or is the engine so strong (lots of torque) that the A/C won't affect it? thanks in advance!

marcus

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

put the a/c on max and let it sit at idle....eventually you get warmer air...

drive with a/c at full blast and you get COLD air...

I think at idle the compresser somehow disengages or something, not to sure though.

if your going like WOT or giving it some heavy gas the ac will turn off for performance reasons

o.k. so subaru has some software running the a/c compressor in an intelligent way? something like economy mode on a honda insight? (which does exactly what you are pointing out)

i'm still really curious about this, i was really impressed with the way the a/c worked, almost like it wasn't robbing any engine power... i've been in big ford trucks (with 350s) and you can always hear/feel the a/c come on... at idle there's even a little power surge and then it goes back to normal... but the wrx i test drove didn't do that at all...

marcus

I Support ClubWRX
    I found this last summer that the A/C takes a huge hit on performance in normal everyday driving. I've explained that it is almost the equivalent of the need for dropping down a gear.

I've driven 4 cyl sticks for many years, and the WRX has the largest engine and output (even without taking the turbo into account) of any I've had before. Yet this A/C has the most impact on performance of any car I've had before. Even more so than the old 1980s Mitsu Mirage 1.4 with A/C or my '75 Scirocco with the 1.5 and A/C or two older Accords (1.5 and 1.8 IIRC)

So, when you are ready to jump on it, be sure to turn off the A/C!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Yeah, during the summer with normal drives to work it can be a pain in stop and go traffic. Lukily subaru was smart and you can easily reach the button with you finger while your hand is on the shifter in 1st gear. Just click it right before you go and then once you are back up to crusing speed turn it back on. Good engineering.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP