SBC-ID...where to mount it?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SBC-ID...where to mount it? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a used SBC-ID v1 (which I'm VERY excited about btw) and I'm trying to find a good ...

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX

SBC-ID...where to mount it?

I just got a used SBC-ID v1 (which I'm VERY excited about btw) and I'm trying to find a good location for it. I've got my Blitz turbo timer next to my cupholder, so I'd rather not take that off. I was thinking on top of my steering column would work great, but what would I use to mount it there?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbc-id_2.jpg  
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Limehatless Avatar - I'm a trend scoffer.
    That's the dual solenoid one right?

Lemme know how the install goes, I might get one of these someday.

Vostok 7
    BUGEYE 4 LYFE! Or uh maybe not

RIP Team Intrinsic Viva la Project 1! http://www.prjct1.com/

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 4EAT Aspen White "Akane"
    Mod List, Picts

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan Aspen White "Akane II"

How about this?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sbc-id-install2.jpg  

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    That works, Aussie...double-sided tape? Velcro?

Oh yeah Vostok, I'm probably gonna install it with the help of Ivan at the Installfest...I'll let you know how it goes
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

tuca33 had a pretty good install if i remember correctly.
    autobots transform

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I saw Tuca's, but I don't have a PowerMeter-ID and I've still got the stock stereo, so no spare DIN for me

I Support ClubWRX
    I would say fashion some sort of mount in the dash cup holder...ie the SBC ID falls and hangs when you pull the cup holder out or pops up from it. It would be hidden neatly when you don't need it glaring in your face.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Indeed, but I'd like to use it as my primary boost gauge now, since it'll read in PSI No more BAR => PSI conversions in my head anymore! hehe

I read on NASIOC that Blitz has some special mounting hardware that's specific for the SBC-ID and PowerMeter-ID, which lets you swivel it on a ball-type device...I'm going to have to look into that.

Originally posted by Verdugo
    I read on NASIOC that Blitz has some special mounting hardware that's specific for the SBC-ID and PowerMeter-ID, which lets you swivel it on a ball-type device...I'm going to have to look into that.
    If you find this out, let me know. I have both a SBC and power meter and don't know where to put them. I am out of room in my car. So far I have Defi gauge pod in place of the clock, EDFC in place of the ashtray. i am looking for a spot for AFc and two Blitz things. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks
    Drew
    SQC #049

The best that I've seen is on the center flip-down sun visor. Can't find the thread that shows pics, but I'm sure people remember it.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Originally posted by Verdugo
    That works, Aussie...double-sided tape? Velcro?

I made a small elbow bracket from strip aluminium (3/4 inch wide) that I screwed to the inside curve of the gauge shroud. The SBC-iD is double sided taped to the bracket. You will notice that any pushing on the jog dial is transferred to the gauge shroud.

It was very very easy and the only tools needed were a $5 hacksaw to cut the strip (I had to buy 3 feet of the stuff!). The bending was done over the edge of a table. And a drill to drill the holes in the bracket and the shroud.

The shroud is the piece that you can take out very easily - it is not part of the gauge cluster. The whole thing only took me about 30 minutes to fabricate and fit! The cable routing is very easy also - it just fits between the dash and the kickpanel that drops away.

I like it because I look down and I have rpm and boost in the same spot. Plus - it is unique....that is, unless you do it also... ........just joking - if you like it - go for it!!!

I liked the LOOK of the sunvisor install - but it is WAY out of your field of view and a long way from your tacho. My radar detector resides above the mirror now and the gate opener for my apartment is also clipped to that flap!

I will take some pics of the bracket for you this afternoon

Cheers,

Andrew

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet, thanks Andrew...I'll definitely consider it

All that work and your SBC-iD can't communicate with your Powermeter! Aussie....dude....buddy....come on now

BTW, My control unit just sits in the coin tray in front of the shifter. I haven't found a place to mount it yet.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    All that work and your SBC-iD can't communicate with your Powermeter! Aussie....dude....buddy....come on now
    Very true - but I never use the functionality. I had rigged an extension to the bracket so that they could be side by side, but I never wanted to show the powermeter info on the SBC so I went for what I though was a more elegant solution.

Honestly - I got swept up in the 'bling' factor of the Power Meter when I bought it. It is a toy, not a serious instrument. It looks cool and the guys at the car wash who do the dry and interior clean always comment etc etc They both say "Blitz in a little animation when you turn the car on - blal blah.

I would recommend to anyone else to save their money and get a G-Tech for when they want that info. IMHO the Gtech would be more accurate anyhow.

Cheers,

Andrew

hmphh~ what about apex product?? the boost controller, and rev/speed meter? Where do you mount them??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.