New upholstry

This is a discussion on New upholstry within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm a bit miffed I don't fit the WRX/STI Limiteds due to the moonroof hitting me in the head, and ...

New upholstry

I'm a bit miffed I don't fit the WRX/STI Limiteds due to the moonroof hitting me in the head, and have found myself on the rediculous quest to come close to that. I haven't fully decided between STI or WRX, but either way I want to get the leather done for everything, especially if I'd go for the STI as I don't like the blue interior especially in a gray car. If I do STI I'd also want the blue carpet swapped for something better. I've got quotes that I'm reasonably happy with for that, which would go on the existing seats.

I've only been in the WRX for a test drive, and STI for a test drive and in a friend's STI to lunck and back to work. Most of my family lives 300+ miles away (6hours+ drive) and I'm not sure how bad it would be for holiday visits. I'm wondering how rediculous this project is for a car I may dread taking back home...

And one of the two quotes says it does not include covering the door cards, but the other one does for the nearly same price. Why would a leather place not be able to do the door cards? The no door card package is $1600 cheaper between the car price and the carpet quote so I'd like to go there but I don't want blue door cards that no longer match anything at all in the car if I go STI. If I go WRX that's the place that does redo the door cards as well. I may end up having the cheaper guy just do the carpet and then go to the second place to have the leather done properly if cheap guy can't get the leather sorted out how I want it.

Anyone gone to this expense and been happy or disappointed later?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

it seems you want a comfortable car. it may be worth waiting for the new wrx to come out. it seems the new one will be more comfortable then the current model.

there is tons of road noise in the sti as well as the wrx. if you're willing to spend money on redoing your entire interior. have you thought of the audi a4, its much more comfortable. and with just a "chip" the 2.0T is putting down some serious numbers. and its a bigger car so you will fit in it.

the worst thing you can do is buy a car you can't be comfortable in, you'll regret it.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    it seems you want a comfortable car. it may be worth waiting for the new wrx to come out. it seems the new one will be more comfortable then the current model.

there is tons of road noise in the sti as well as the wrx. if you're willing to spend money on redoing your entire interior. have you thought of the audi a4, its much more comfortable. and with just a "chip" the 2.0T is putting down some serious numbers. and its a bigger car so you will fit in it.

the worst thing you can do is buy a car you can't be comfortable in, you'll regret it.
    I started looking at BMW 3series and A4, yes. Friends who have had them have talked me out of them because of reliability problems and expense of repairs on them. One who wanted a BMW so bad finally got one, and was then very happy to get rid of it, I think he has a Subaru now. I've heard bad stories about lots of sports cars now, but nothing bad abotu any Subaru. My friend with an STI went through 5 or 6 cars in 4 years, including S4, S2000, Corvette and Evo. After the Evo he got his STI and has had it for 3 years or so now and loves it. IMHO that says a lot.

I fit the WRX line fine without a moonroof, I just don't fit the Limited versions that have one. People told me I could just tilt the seat back further and things like that, but I let that go because like you said an uncomfortable car isn't worth it. I've been fine in no-moonroof Imprezas.

I like the looks of the WRX/STI as much as the BMW or A4. it may not have some of the refinement or prestige as those do, but I can live with that.

I'm also concerned about service locations. My Honda broke down a few years ago while visiting my parents. Back there they have American cars and Subarus. Nothing European, and nothing else Japanese. Cost me an extra unplanned week off work waiting for them to fumble around with the thing and try to call around to get some ideas over the phone of what to look for, and even with that I finally gave up and took my mom's car for a couple months until we could trade back again. I guess they allow Subaru because of AWD for the snow and hills, which isn't a reason I wanted to choose a car for me, but has been part of it.

Besides, I like the 07 better than the 08 in terms of styling. I just want to make the interior more aestheticaly pleasing to me than all the Alcantera Blue.

you might want to look into a JDM Sti Spec C interior opposed to getting aftermarket upholstery done. The Spec C has black carpet, black door cards and black seating. Plus JDM sti seats are much nicer than USDM.

depends on the cost though.

the legecy spec-b is another option

edit: didnt realize that the spec-b had the same blue interior...never mind

the legecy GT is another option
    Last edited by abhiwan; 05-23-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011