2 channel or 4 channel amp?

This is a discussion on 2 channel or 4 channel amp? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Summer is almost here and its time to upgrade the stereo! I think I've got everything narrowed down but the ...

2 channel or 4 channel amp?

Summer is almost here and its time to upgrade the stereo!

I think I've got everything narrowed down but the amp. Here's what I am looking at so far:

Pioneer DEH-6900UB Head Unit
    Polk DB6501 Component 6 1/2" front
    Polk DB401 4" rear

What I looked at Saturday amp wise was an Eclipse EA4100 4 channel amp. This would run all 4 speakers. Thinking more and more, could I get a 2 channel amp and just run the front speakers? Would I loose a lot of sound quality by just running the rears off the head unit? I'd have to guess probably not with the rears only being 4", but don't want to buy the wrong thing.

A sub probably is in my future, however not at this time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those are all very nice components, Eclipse makes great amps. I have a suggestion though, invest a little more in the amp and step up to the XA4000. It is more powerful, and you can use all four channels right now for your full range speakers. When you are ready to add a sub, you can just power the rear speakers from the deck, bridge the two rear channels on your amp, and now you are ready to power a sub. This would keep you from having to buy another amp when you are ready to add a sub to your sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS300
    Would I loose a lot of sound quality by just running the rears off the head unit?
    In a word, no. A properly set up sound stage you would not notice the rear speakers, in fact, in some cases they can negatively affect the sound. The upgraded rear speakers are really just to be nice to the people in your back seat. So, for the time being, amp all your speakers, enjoy the heck out of them, and when you are ready to add your sub, you'll find you probably don't miss the sound provided by the amped rear speakers at all.

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by JDS300 View Post
    Summer is almost here and its time to upgrade the stereo!

I think I've got everything narrowed down but the amp. Here's what I am looking at so far:

Pioneer DEH-6900UB Head Unit
    Polk DB6501 Component 6 1/2" front
    Polk DB401 4" rear

What I looked at Saturday amp wise was an Eclipse EA4100 4 channel amp. This would run all 4 speakers. Thinking more and more, could I get a 2 channel amp and just run the front speakers? Would I loose a lot of sound quality by just running the rears off the head unit? I'd have to guess probably not with the rears only being 4", but don't want to buy the wrong thing.

A sub probably is in my future, however not at this time.

i'd say get a 4 channel amp and get 5 1/4's in the back, they will fit with a bracket.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    i'd say get a 4 channel amp and get 5 1/4's in the back, they will fit with a bracket.
    +1

I have had a Mazda 3 w/ no sub and only the front components amped and my 07 wrx with 6 1/2" focals amped up front factory rears off the deck. In my opinion, the filler sound from the rear makes a big difference.

Then I upgraded the deck to the AVIC-D3, which is awesome, and added a 10" sub. Better because you fill in the base, but then I added 5 1/4" diamond coaxials in the rear and the sound is NICE. Fills the whole car with sound and the added sound out of the back really brings the whole system together.

In short, both times that I either didn't have rears or didn't amp them there was a noticible shortage in sound from the rear. Amping the rears is worth the money. If you buy a 2 channel amp you will want to sell it and get a 4 channel later, it happened to me.

I'm running my back stock speakers of my deck now, with components amped up front. Sounds great, i don't think you'd be disappointed.

However, I'm in the middle of putting together a CarPC and that forces you to go 4 channel unless u want to keep your deck.. which i dont.
    Im actually thinking of getting that exact same amp, so if you get it let us know how it sounds. Then I'll move my 2 channel amp out and keep it for a sub in the future.

Another note, I'm not crazy about bass but the it IS nice to have a sub so that you can take a little low end work off of the rest of your speakers, theoretically improving sound quality all around. I'm not audio expert, however, so I'm sure there's a better solution