Grew tired of stuff rolling around in the trunk

This is a discussion on Grew tired of stuff rolling around in the trunk within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I carry quite a few tools and I finally got tired of them rolling around back there. Even in a ...

Grew tired of stuff rolling around in the trunk

I carry quite a few tools and I finally got tired of them rolling around back there. Even in a tool bag the carpet would bunch up, or it'd slide and topple after some spirited cornering and I'd find them in a different place every time I opened the trunk. I'm kind of a neat freak with my car too so I wanted them stowed nicely. Here's my solution.

My tools and a bag just long enough to fit my torque wrench:

I bought a strap for a tool belt and ran it behind the trunk moldings so that it would secure the tool bag into the corner:

The plastic moldings were too flimsy to really cinch the bag down, so I made a bracket using some spare metal, metal snips and a drill. I cut it just right so that it is secured by one of the screws holding in the tail light assembly.

On the other side of the opening for the jack there is a convenient triangular hole just above the wheel well

Using a razor knife I cut two slits in the plastic moldings for the belt to fit through.

Put the bag in place on its end and snug it down!

Or like this:

Nice tidy trunk!

'02 PSM WRX Sedan, Cobb AP V1 Stg.1, Perrin UPP, Borla XR-1, and plenty more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks pretty tidy. Is that bracket as sharp as it looks? You may want to roll the edge over if so.

I filed it down, so it isn't really sharp and shouldnt wear on the strap any.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty cool idea.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Are you or were you ever an Electrician by trade? I saw lots of Klein tools there. BEST TOOLS ever!

But anyways this looks like something I may be doing in the near future. My trunk looks like a toolbag exploded.
    HawkEye Alliance#35

Awesome idea!
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

One of my buddies velcroed his toolkit down, but I like this a lot more, much cleaner, looks like it belongs there.
    --03 RSX Type S - SOLD!

--06 STi

--1976ish Beechcraft T-34C Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by VeritasVulnero View Post
    Are you or were you ever an Electrician by trade? I saw lots of Klein tools there. BEST TOOLS ever!

But anyways this looks like something I may be doing in the near future. My trunk looks like a toolbag exploded.
    For a summer in high school and one in college I worked as an electrical apprentice, good call Best tools ever for sure.

Someone asked in a PM about clearance from the bracket that holds the trunk lid on. There's plenty, and I could add quite a few more tools/items without it rubbing. Thanks for the comments guys.

Haha yea my dad's an electrical contractor so ever since I could hold a pair of pliers I've worked with him.

But what metal did you make the bracket out of?
    HawkEye Alliance#35

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    You are so smart, S-M-R-T.

Great idea.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods