Shorting Parking Brake Length
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Shorting Parking Brake Length within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did some searching hear and Nasioc but found nothing. Does anyone know if you can shorten the pulling length ...

Banned

Shorting Parking Brake Length

I did some searching hear and Nasioc but found nothing. Does anyone know if you can shorten the pulling length of the parking brake. My older impreza was so nice it only took like an inch before it started braking. I have this consern because I know one of these times im going to leave it pulled but with no brake and my car will be coasting down the hill I live on(this acucualy happened to my mothers outback for the same reason, She found it in the neibors tree very close to flying through the tree into a house ). Plus I like the e brake and it just takes to much effort as is. Any sugestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

parking with a MT 101

parking brake - up, leave it in gear, turn wheel so tires will roll into curb

As for the brake - there should be a cable running from the lever back - find it, adjust it. If you need a copy of the service manual let me know and I'll PM you a link to it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Banned
    Isn't leaving the car in gear bad for your car or am I just crazy I always leave it out of gear even when coasting some times it makes me feel better about the tranny. I might atempt this and see what i find.

stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by ERIKBROCKHOFF View Post
    Isn't leaving the car in gear bad for your car or am I just crazy I always leave it out of gear even when coasting some times it makes me feel better about the tranny. I might atempt this and see what i find.
    leaving it in gear won't hurt anything - no moving parts to worry about when it's sitting parked and turned off, and when it's rolling, as long as you have the clutch fully depressed you have nothing to worry about either. It's the partial clutch engagement where wear occurs, not when the clutch pedal is on the floor.

FYI - when driving stick, it's dangerous to be rolling out of gear. One of the benefits of driving stick is the direct control you have over the engine. It's important to maintain this control at all times. When an "OMG- I'm gonna die" moment occurs, the last thing you want to be doing is searching for the right gear. When coasting or slowing down, you should continue rowing through the gears appropriately so that engine braking or accelleration is available at all times. Even if you don't let the clutch out, try to stay in a gear suited for what you anticipate.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

It is not bad to leave the car in gear when it's parked. If you use the parking brake, that is holding the car, not the transmission. I actually need to adjust my parking brake also. I'm having to pull it further the older the car gets. I can see the adjustment for it, I just haven't taken the time to take the center console off and adjust it yet.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Banned
    Geting to the adjustement seems tricky everything else pops out exept two screws and then somthing else like more screws is holding the center buket thing down.

Banned
    Hey this is the easyest mod ever all I had to do was pop off the praking brake suronding thing and thighten to opposing srew nut thing and wala. The change is amazing I can't beleve how much energy Im saving by not yanking that thing so far But on the real Subies are rally inspired vehicals that know there 'ish. BEST MOD EVER!!

Technically, the proper way to adjust the parking brake is at the rear brake and not at the handle. The handle is the easiest since you just shorten the cable to compensate for pad wear. However, there's an adjustment at the brake mechanism that will move the pad closer to the drum. What could happen is you shorten the brake cable to adjust the brakes and one day, you replace your parking brake pads and the cable is too short. Anyway, it's unlikely to happen so go ahead and adjust it at the handle. Just understand what effect it may have in the future.

Banned
    I dont think this will cause any troubles in the future, I think they were made to be set this way. The improvement is durastic even if I must losssen the nuts when im replacing my rear pads its worth having it set like this. I tested where the brake started grabing after the mod and its still far from touching in order for you to be correct I think there would have to be less play than that. But do it and tell me what you think.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.