Oil pressure sender installation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil pressure sender installation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Someone told me that installing the sender was as easy as locating the vehicles oil pressure switch. the thing that ...

Oil pressure sender installation

Someone told me that installing the sender was as easy as locating the vehicles oil pressure switch. the thing that tells the car to trip a cel when the oils low. does any one know where it is. i have an 06 tr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

on MY05 WRX it's in the block kinda behind the alternator. it just has one wire going to it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

I just did mine yesterday and its a little harder than just finding the stock dummy guage one. I have a '06 TR as well.
    These should help:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612
    Oil Pressure Sender Install - Advice

i saw the one behind the alternator. i cant access the pics pecause im not a member of scoby mods. ill get my membership soon. the other guy said it needs to be romote mounted. that may be true but it does look like it will fit behind the alternator. (if thats the factory one). if i remove the factory one and install the auto meter sender. im thinking ill get a CEL cause there is no place to attach the wire the goes to the factory sender.

thanx for the help guys if anyone else knows any thing don't be shy
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-29-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: cel question

the PCM doesn't care about that wire, it's only for the gauge cluster so if you as long as you cover it (so it can't ground anywhere) it just means you're oil pressure light will never get lit again. it may be better in the long run to keep the factory oil pressure sender and use the drilled hole on top of the block, it's easy enough to get to and you don't have to modify the stock system (which is one of my goals whenever i change anything).
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

thats probly what ill do. there is a replacment plug for that hole on top with a 1/8th adapter hole from subaru. thing it auto meter elec sender wont screw in to it so im going to see if i can get it tapped. maby its in metric

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    thats probly what ill do. there is a replacment plug for that hole on top with a 1/8th adapter hole from subaru. thing it auto meter elec sender wont screw in to it so im going to see if i can get it tapped. maby its in metric
    The Subaru plug is a metric thread 1/8 PT. If you use a Defi gauge, Apexi or Greddy you will be fine with that.

If you use an Autometer type of sender, it is easier to get this kit from WRXtra:

http://www.wrxtra.com/catalog/produc...products_id=34

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by mykedude View Post
    The Subaru plug is a metric thread 1/8 PT.
    Just to clarify it is a 1/8 BSPT. Neat product.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I just received the plug from subaru to thread into the top of the block. It fits 1/8 BSPT, the only problem is that it didn't come with a sealing washer. I am going to the local auto store to see if I can fine a copper washer to fit.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

they're also available from the dealership since it's the same size as the oil pan crush washer
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    I just received the plug from subaru to thread into the top of the block. It fits 1/8 BSPT, the only problem is that it didn't come with a sealing washer. I am going to the local auto store to see if I can fine a copper washer to fit.
    mine didnt have a washer either. but there wasn't one on the stock galley plug either so i just put the adaptor in without it. its been in there for a week or so, i had a leak at the connection where i remote mounted the tubing to the sender that i fixed, but no leaks at the galley plug. but then again i used a good ring of threadlocker on there too.
    so i dunno, unless someone else here says that its essential, i'd say you can install it wihtout it.

I checked the oil pan crush washer on the adapter plug and it seems a bit too big. Maybe I will try and find a washer to fit the plug as best as possible and use a small amount of teflon tape on the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by 68sprintb View Post
    they're also available from the dealership since it's the same size as the oil pan crush washer

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    I checked the oil pan crush washer on the adapter plug and it seems a bit too big. Maybe I will try and find a washer to fit the plug as best as possible and use a small amount of teflon tape on the threads.
    Don't use teflon tape on the treads. Most likely your oil pressure sender will ground itself on the motor. The teflon tape will act as an insulator and you will get false readings from the sender due to it having a faulty ground.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Don't use teflon tape on the treads. Most likely your oil pressure sender will ground itself on the motor. The teflon tape will act as an insulator and you will get false readings from the sender due to it having a faulty ground.

WOW I guess I had a brain fart for a moment there. Thanks

My Defi's were delivered today and the instructions show the use of teflon tape for the sender. What do you guys use on the threads to prevent leaks? I understand it is a pipe thread, but I would figure there has to be something that could help seal better and be conductive at the same time. Any thoughts??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.