Oil pressure sender installation - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil pressure sender installation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; mine was for oil temperature so the probe had to be submersed in oil, for oil pressure you'll probably be ...

mine was for oil temperature so the probe had to be submersed in oil, for oil pressure you'll probably be able to get by with the subaru 1/8" BSPT into a 1/8" BSPT--1/8" NPT adapter into the sending unit
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one has really helped me yet? is this the WRONG adapter for the prosport oil pressure gauge??

so for the 06-07s put the sender behind the alternater??

Quote Originally Posted by 68sprintb View Post
    mine was for oil temperature so the probe had to be submersed in oil, for oil pressure you'll probably be able to get by with the subaru 1/8" BSPT into a 1/8" BSPT--1/8" NPT adapter into the sending unit
    I'm having this same situation. Where does one go about getting a 1/8" BSPT--1/8" NPT adapter? Somewhere has to have a gallery plug (male) and 1/8" NPT (female) adapter. What size is the gallery plug? It didn't say on subarugenuineparts.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Found the answer to my own q:

09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
    Normally, an oil pressure sender threads directly into an oil port on the engine block. The two ports on top of the Suby's engine are too large in diameter for a sender, so Subaru uses a M18 (size/thread of port hole) to 1/8" BSP (size/thread of Subaru oil pressure sender hole) adapter.
    Almost all oil pressure senders sold in the US use the slightly different 1/8" NPT size/thread, which will not fit properly in the Subaru adapter's 1/8" BSP hole. You could add on a 1/8" BSP to 1/8" NPT adapter on top, but that's silly and mechanically weaker.
    Instead, get a M18 to 1/8"NPT direct adapter, like this inexpensive one: http://www.isspro.com/proddetail.php?prod=R7965
    This adapter screws into the engine block port and provides a 1/8"NPT threaded hole for an oil pressure sender. Use a bit of high temp oil-resistant silicone gasket maker on the first 2-3 threads when screwing in the adapter and when screwing in the sender, to prevent leaks.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    CALL AUTOMETER!!!!

Tell them you need an adapter to run a US spec gauge to the oil pressure port on a WRX.. they sell the EXACT part you need, and any auto parts store in town can get it for you in a day..

And YES... in an 06.... the easiest and most effective way to run an oil pressure sender is behind the alternator. I've tried the sandwich adapter... they suck. I've also tried the large, quarter-sized port WAY underneath the intercooler.. that sucked even worse.

I own an 06.... and I've done the oil pressure... AS WELL as eight other gauges in my car.... Ive dealt with the failures, and the leaks before I got it right.... trust me on this one.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Registered User UnTuCHaBLeZ_WRX's Avatar
    Why didnt u like the sandwhich adapter? Besides maybe not reading right, any particular reason why you didnt wanna go that route?

can some take a picture of where they mount the sender or what its supposed to look like with that autometer kit with the copper tubes

can i get a 90 degree fitting for the sender will it fit like that under the intercooler??

If its a 2.5L i'd be very surprised if you can fit a 90 degree adaptor in there at all.... there is literally no room down there. Your best bet is to remote mount it with copper tubing.

I have an 02, just did the spot way under the intercooler. I'm getting normal numbers. It fit fine.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    I have an 02, just did the spot way under the intercooler. I'm getting normal numbers. It fit fine.
    And do you have a 2.5L??? On 06+'s (not sure about pre-06 Sti's) at least, there is NO room left in there. Its changed from previous wrx's, BELIEVE me.

02, 03, 04, 05 are 2.0Ls
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    02, 03, 04, 05 are 2.0Ls
    not the STi's...
    but thats beside the point, i'm answering W0R7Xsubi's question, and i was assuming you were too. if thats not the case then nevermind

I was just stating that it fit fine for me and my little inferior 2.0L
    It was definitely a PITA. But for the 2.0 guys, it can be done.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast