Oil pressure sender installation - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil pressure sender installation within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 06-wrx My Defi's were delivered today and the instructions show the use of teflon tape for the ...

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    My Defi's were delivered today and the instructions show the use of teflon tape for the sender. What do you guys use on the threads to prevent leaks? I understand it is a pipe thread, but I would figure there has to be something that could help seal better and be conductive at the same time. Any thoughts??
    Usually if the sender uses a ground wire you can then use teflon tape. Also, the entire point behind a pipe thread is that it doesn't need anything else to make a good seal.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Usually if the sender uses a ground wire you can then use teflon tape. Also, the entire point behind a pipe thread is that it doesn't need anything else to make a good seal.
    The teflon doesn't actually act as a seal. It help lubricate the threads so you can make the fitting tighter without it binding quickly. I think the Defi sending units are individually grounded back to the control unit. The oil pressure sender has three wires going to it. I just found it strange that they show the use of teflon in the instruction manual.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

i didn't use teflon when I installed my temp sender but it's only one wire and grounds through the block. also pipe threads are designed not to leak with compression and so far so good
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

I'm pretty sure the Defi sending units run a ground wire back to the control unit cause there are 3 wired going to the sender

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Defi sending units run a ground wire back to the control unit cause there are 3 wired going to the sender
    That probably is the case, especially since they told you to use teflon tape on the sender. You still shouldn't need it with the pipe threads, but if you can use it why not.

another quick ? guys. How the hell do you install that galley plug. It seems like it's impossible. I took of the IC and can see the plug, but I don't know how the sender will fit in that location because the throttle body collant hose is in the way. Am I looking at the right thing, or is there another plug in the top of the engine that I am missing?

It's definitely a tight squeeze. You just need to nudge some hoses around a bit to get that thing in there. The biggest problem I had was getting the sender tight. It's not easy to get a tool on it to get it tight. I ended up using a large pair of Channel Lock pliers and now I have a slight dent in the side of the sender, but it still works fine.

I can get the sender and galley plug in there, but tightening it is going to be a problem. The 06 has that damn emissions air pump. The hard steel air pump line runs right next to the sender, so there is no room to use a crows foot wrench like everyone else does. I am out of ideas...... I was thinking about going to the one under the alternator, but I am pretty sure that the factory oil pressure warning light sender is installed there. I would disconect it, but I am not sure if the light will just stay on. It seems like theres one problem after another..

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Don't use the galley plug... I did, and because its so tight, it broke the line.

Use the factory oil pressure sensor behind the alternator. I did have to get an adapter from autometer to use US gauges, but autozone had the part to me in 24 hours.

I've tried the galley plug.. it leaked.

I've tried the sandwich adapter as well... garbage.

I never got a CEL when I removed the OP sensor to install the gauge.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Sounds great, I will give it a try. I'm just pissed cause my car is sitting in the driveway with no IC at the moment. I was going to wait til tomorrow to pick up the sealing washer from my dealer for the galley plug. The 06's are definately tighter in space than the previous years. That damn air pump line, and throttle body coolant line really screw things up. I could have had the alternator out in 10 minutes instead of going this route. Tomorrow I am going to remove the factory sender and put the defi sender right in there. all the wires are allready in the car, my ATI pod is now painted flat black, and the gauges are in the pod. I just had to turn on the ignition to see that beautiful DEFI opening ceremony LOL. I can't wait til I finish. Hopefully I will drill and tap the manifold on Sat morning.

I re-installed the rear galley plug, put my IC back on, then I removed the alternator and factory sending unit and installed the Defi unit. I also finished wiring the gauges inside the car and got the pod up on the dash. Everything works great and these gauges are amazing. The only gauge thats not currently working at the moment is the EGT gauge. I didn't get a chance to install the sender yet. Tomorrow morning its EGT sender install time. Just to show some people how bad of luck I have, I will tell you a short story. After finishing up the install today I went for a testdrive to make sure I had no leaks, noises, etc. Everything turned out great. So I start driving home with a huige smile on my face and a rock kicks up from a truck and breaks my windshield. Oh well, I guess theres nothing I can do. At least I have a nice set of Defi's to take my mind off the cracked windshield.

That's funny. Sorry, but replacing your windshield is basically part of ownership. I think most of us have done it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That's funny. Sorry, but replacing your windshield is basically part of ownership. I think most of us have done it.
    On my third. I have had the worst luck with windshields on the WRX of any car I have ever owned. This is going back 28 years.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yah your totaly right. i just got done trying to get to the one under the intercooler. hoolycrap pain in my ars. any way i got the adapter plug in just fine then realized there was no more room around all those hoses for the sender. long story short im going with the one behind the alternator. do you remeber the part number and nomenclature for the auto meter adapter?

on second thought do i need it? cuz i still have the subaru adapter and a metric ass ton of thread sealant.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-11-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: plug

You guys are wussies. A sender goes in there. Serious.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast