comfortable car seat?

This is a discussion on comfortable car seat? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For some reason after driving for more than 30 minutes straight, my lower left back starts to hurt, it never ...

comfortable car seat?

For some reason after driving for more than 30 minutes straight, my lower left back starts to hurt, it never hurt before in my old car (i had an old xle camry with leather interior).

anyone having the same problem? any tips on making the seat more comfortable or any idea of super comfortable racing seat?

i ordered an sti wrx mini car pillow off ebay,(8 by 8) hopefully that solves it.
    2003 Midnight Black WRX sedan
    ____ unwrapped 12/30/02

--- STi Short Shifter
    --- Factory Boost Gauge
    --- Intake Silencer Removed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Same with me. Bought a tempure-pedic pillow from Brookstone for my lumbar and it's EXCELLENT. A bit pricey @ $60.00 - but what is comfort worth?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I don't have back problems with long distance driving, but my butt falls asleep, and for some reason, my heel falls asleep (very weird feeling), but those Tempure-Pedic pillows are COMFY, and you should try it out.
    http://www.hsubaru.com

Re: comfortable car seat?

Originally posted by Griffy
    For some reason after driving for more than 30 minutes straight, my lower left back starts to hurt, it never hurt before in my old car (i had an old xle camry with leather interior).

anyone having the same problem? any tips on making the seat more comfortable or any idea of super comfortable racing seat?

i ordered an sti wrx mini car pillow off ebay,(8 by 8) hopefully that solves it.
    I had the same problem when I first got mine, it took a little experimenting with seat position to end the discomfort. Play around with it and you will find a good spot, then don't ever let anyone else drive it haha. What works is sitting upright, with a 90-110 degree angle between your hips and torso. You should be forward enough that your knee is still slighty bent when depressing the clutch fully without pointing your toes (reaching for the pedals). Steering wheel should be right in front of you, down low, with arms bent at the elbows a bit. You should be reaching straight out for the wheel with very little upward reaching. The hard part is the seat height, this was the key for ending my pain. You want to try having the seat so that your knees are very close to the horizontal level of your hips to take the strain out of your low back. The seat cushion should support your thigh evenly (equal pressure at the top of your hamstring as the bottom). Use your dead pedal, don't lock into the same position with your left leg for too long, try putting your foot flat on the floor right up near the seat bottom when you notice a little ache starting. Once I dialed my seat in properly, the only time my back has ached while driving was the day after overdoing it with deadlifts at the gym, otherwise I've gone 9 hours with no discomfort at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes in addition to the above post, I'd like to say that I've noticed many people have their seatbacks too slack. In effect they don't make full use of the seatback for support and the lowerback is essentially taking the load of propping people upright. This is a major cause of fatigue.

i love the seats

i'm overweight with mediocre posture, and i love the seats. logged 10 hours straight to pennsylvania from boston no sweat.

<shrug>

dR

I drive with my seat slanted back less then just about everyone I have seen. I find it gives me better visability, and more back support as well as a more stable feel in turns. I also noticed most rally drivers sit as straight as possible, so I figure they must know whats right because they sit in that car for 15 hours a day sometimes. My only problem is my legs are pretty long and tend not to rest fully on the bottom cushion, and if I move the seat back further my arms are not comfortable on the wheel. I wish you could raise that end more to make it more of a bucket seat. Its funny you can raise the rear end but not the front end. Oh well, I talk about seats to much.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Re: i love the seats

Originally posted by dark_rex
    i'm overweight with mediocre posture, and i love the seats. logged 10 hours straight to pennsylvania from boston no sweat.

<shrug>

dR
    14 hours from Paxutent River, MD to St Louis, MO straight though - no worries.
    I tend to sit quite upright compared to others - WRC style.

For those with legs going numb - the seat should slope more towards the front.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've started getting back and neck pain from long drives to and from skiing. It's gotten to the point where when I sit for more than 10 minutes on a local drive, I can often feel the same familar pain returning. The pain starts in my middle back (directly opposite the solar plexis).

I've got my seat set according to auto-x:
    Steering wheel is at lowest position and my palms touch the top of the steering wheel without the elbows locking so the arms are just slightly bent. This is a rather upright seating position - more for control than comfort.

One thing is when I drive to ski, I usually wear my ski jacket, which is somewhat hefty - has a heavy shell and fleece that together must push my body a 1/2" closer to the steering wheel than without it. I don't know if that is a cause.

I'm surprised they didn't put a lumbar adjustment in these seats. Feels like the lumbar is soft and lacking support.
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

Originally posted by gjhsu
    I don't have back problems with long distance driving, but my butt falls asleep, and for some reason, my heel falls asleep (very weird feeling), but those Tempure-Pedic pillows are COMFY, and you should try it out.
    I too have my heel fall asleep. When I move it around... it gets all tingly!

I thought I was going to have a problem with the seats... with such big side and hip bolsters... so far no probs. 5 hours has been my longest trip.

As for the tempur-pedic stuff, you think the pillow is expensive... try buying the split-foundation queen sized bed! Man was it expensive, but I wouldn't trade it for the world! Took a while to get used to... still use a regular pillow though.

RR
    03 WRX Silver Tailless
    Colorado