Passport 9500i /Smart Cord / Shifter Install Questions

This is a discussion on Passport 9500i /Smart Cord / Shifter Install Questions within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My Passport 8500 (non-x50) died this past month. Everytime I stepped on the gas I would get a false laser ...

Passport 9500i /Smart Cord / Shifter Install Questions

My Passport 8500 (non-x50) died this past month. Everytime I stepped on the gas I would get a false laser and scare the crap out of myself. Going with another passport was easy b/c I had a $2k K40 dual detector setup in my audi and my passport was better. I did not get front/rear detector capabilities with passport but that was more of a cool feature and marginally useful. If the detector was going off I was slowing down period.

So now I have the new 9500i (gps enabled detector) and the smart cord hardwire setup but not sure how/where I want to install it????

Anyone have any recommendations on:
    1. Where to install detector (behind rear view?)
    2. Where to tap into for power (btw I have homelink mirror with compass)
    3. Where to install the remote display and mute button?
    4. I am also thinking of getting the laser shifter add-on. Tips on this install?

Pictures are even better!

Thanks.
    VF39'd @ 282awhp, 326awtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

-For the first part of you question, I know that there is a mounting hole and screw under the headliner that you can punch a hole in the headliner and screw it on up there. You just need to carefully remove the headliner about 3-4 inches behind the rearview and it should be there. I have not tried this on mine, but my friend with an '03 has it done.

-I am sure that after you peel back the headliner, I am sure that you can splice into some wires.

-How big is this "remote display and mute button"? I would say to put it in the blank buttons on the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

-I have no idea what a laser shifter add-on is...
    Last edited by branemaniac; 04-16-2007 at 03:35 PM.
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.