I don't know a single thing about Audio...

This is a discussion on I don't know a single thing about Audio... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can someone help me out? I just got my 05 WRX today with the "premium" sound system, and I find ...

I don't know a single thing about Audio...

Can someone help me out? I just got my 05 WRX today with the "premium" sound system, and I find it to be terrible. I want to swap the head unit out and speaker out asap but I'm not exactly sure what brands I should be going with. I was told by a few people on the boards here in another thread to go with an Alpine head unit but I'm not exactly sure which model to go with. What makes a head unit better than the next one? What should I be looking for? And also what speakers should I be going for? I'd say I'm looking to spend $800 at the most. I'm not looking for crazy bass or anything, definetly some, but nothing insane, I love clarity in my music.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

For head units, do you want an iPod hook up? Or an Aux plug in the face of it to hook up other MP3 players into the headphone jack? Do you want Sirius/ XM radio also? the Alpine 9883 or 9885 are good choices. I plan on getting the Alpine 9885.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iD1FnUf...500CDA9885#Tab

Crutchfield is an excellent place for anything related to Audio. I bought my Sirius receiver from them, they have good deals. And their customer service is top notch.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by ismegamanthere View Post
    Can someone help me out? I just got my 05 WRX today with the "premium" sound system, and I find it to be terrible. I want to swap the head unit out and speaker out asap but I'm not exactly sure what brands I should be going with. I was told by a few people on the boards here in another thread to go with an Alpine head unit but I'm not exactly sure which model to go with. What makes a head unit better than the next one? What should I be looking for? And also what speakers should I be going for? I'd say I'm looking to spend $800 at the most. I'm not looking for crazy bass or anything, definetly some, but nothing insane, I love clarity in my music.
    diamond audio speakers are really good, but they would be a worthless upgrade without an amp, as for high sound quality amps...the MRV series from Alpine have amazing sound clerity.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

I definetly want a head unit that has an ipod connector. As for Sirius and XM, not a big fan so I'll pass on that. As for the amplifier, what exactly does it do?

Quote Originally Posted by ismegamanthere View Post
    I definetly want a head unit that has an ipod connector. As for Sirius and XM, not a big fan so I'll pass on that. As for the amplifier, what exactly does it do?
    amp's increase the power sent to the speakers. typical HU's only send 14-20 watts to each speaker. with an amp you can have anyweres from 40+ watts per speaker (depending on how deep your pockets are, and what you're looking for) more power to the speakers typically means better sound quality and of course they will be louder.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    amp's increase the power sent to the speakers. typical HU's only send 14-20 watts to each speaker. with an amp you can have anyweres from 40+ watts per speaker (depending on how deep your pockets are, and what you're looking for) more power to the speakers typically means better sound quality and of course they will be louder.
    Hmm, for now I think I'm just going to go with a new head unit. I just don't know whether or not to go with the Alpine 9885, or 9857.