rear view mirror rattle

This is a discussion on rear view mirror rattle within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i have one of the auto dimming rear view mirrors with the compass. My problem is i have subs ...

kmo

Thumbs down rear view mirror rattle

hey i have one of the auto dimming rear view mirrors with the compass. My problem is i have subs and even at low volumes the mirror rattles really bad. Im looking for possible solutions to this rattle. Somethings gotta work because if i hold the mirror the rattle goes away. Maybe theres a way to take it apart or something. Any suggestions would be much appretiated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'd say take a wad of cotten and put it in the back of the mirror to absorb the movement. but then again I'm way drunk, so i could be way wrong
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #181

kmo
    i tried taping a rubber band around the mirror but that didnt work. Has anyone ever taken one of these mirrors apart? im sure theres a way

I Support ClubWRX
    Get rid of the subs and save your hearing.
    <------From someone with permanent hearing damage, and used to build comp systems, its not worth it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

kmo
    haha understandable but although my subs can hit very hard i usually only listen to them at half gain. i love having a nice level of bass, it really makes all music sound much better not to mention keeps the low frequency stress and interior door rattles off my components. Then again its been replaced by the mirror but im sure theres a way to fix it.

i had the same problem and i thought about superglueing the conection joint of the front and rear of the mirror. personally i didnt want to do something so permenent a solution with no promise but you can try if you want

FYI I tolerated this problem for 3 1/2 years.... last month I had my windshield replaced, and coincidentally at the same time adjusted my amplifier to reduce some distortion.

To make a long story short, I have NO rattles from the mirror during even at above-"normal" volume/gain. Maybe with a stroke of luck the windshield molding is dampening the effect, or the tweak with the amplifier helped, or both...

Sorry I don't have more info, but its good news for me!

What I did was remove the mirror from the windshield, and put some sound dampening material into the bracket where it clips onto the bracket. It still vibrates some, but I have a pretty serious sub, but I wouldn't really call it "rattle" anymore. On second thought, it might be my eyes that are vibrating.... lol.
    Two cars... Three turbos!

kmo
    i finally got sick of hearing it so i went all or nothing. I took the mirror off and took it completly apart. Inside there were like 4 little plastic bumps that the circuit board for the auto dim mirror rested on. I put thin sticky felt pieces on those bumps and stuffed all the crevases inside the mirror with cotton balls and reassembled with a little silicon. Problem solved! no more rattles at any level. im so happy because it makes your music sound so much cleaner without hearing that damn thing rattling.
    ...We Are Virginia Tech...

Proud to be a Hokie 3-16-07

thanks for your post...i think i might try that...wait i dont think, i know...it sounds so awful with the mirror rattling...i wish that with a back up camera on my car and a video screen to show it, i could just junk the mirror off of the car for good!
    2005 WRX Wagon stg 1 - 3/12 to present
    1996 BMW 328is coupe - 5/11 to present

02 WRX wagon stg 2 - history

WTB: Cobb Accessport ap-sub-001 for 2005 WRX