Need an upgrade beyound the factory crap

This is a discussion on Need an upgrade beyound the factory crap within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to make an upgrade in my sound system. I bought the factory amp/sub and speaker upgrade and I ...

Need an upgrade beyound the factory crap

I'm looking to make an upgrade in my sound system. I bought the factory amp/sub and speaker upgrade and I regret it. The sound quality is a little better than average but I should have stayed away from the factory and went to a decent audio store.

Has anybody out there replaced their upgraded speakers and found a great improvement with their new speakers?

1) Without replacing the head unit and factory amp/sub, what are the best speakers to buy?
    2) Will I get enough power out of the factory amp/sub to drive new speakers? I have another amp that I can also use in addition to the factory amp.

I did read some older post that addressed some of my questions, but I'm hoping for a few more opinions.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey Paul,

I also made the mistake of getting the upgraded speakers and sub. I didn't know that the speakers would still be paper cone crap. I order MB Quart 6.5" components (~$180) for the front and MB Quart 4" coaxials (~$80) for the rears. I intend to install them over my holiday vacation and I'll let you know how it sounds.

Also, the stock sub woofer has gain and cross over adjustment knobs on it. I haven't played with mine yet, but I hear that you can greatly improve the sound of the stock system.

Two good stereo sites: www.uscaraudio.com www.onlinecarstereo.com

-Jim

The best speakers would be MB Quart and JBL. I have JBL's in my Chrysler right now and they sound very good, I bought them because I couldn't afford the component set from MB Quart. I used to sell car audio at a local electronic store chain.

NoTe - thanks for the reply.

Our fellow WRX'er - PlatinumWRX is installing his MB Quart speakers over the holiday and has offered me the opportunity to hear how they sound. I should have known he would get only the best for his WRX.

PS - you will love your WRX when you finally get it.

MB Quarts are nice! But I'd definitely get an amp to power them dont let them go to waste by running them off the factory head unit

Oh I'm new around here but I know alot about car audio and will be getting my WRX soon enough. Already building my system for it
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

Pt, you ever get those MB Quartz's installed?

How do they sound?
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion