Thinking about a new component system...suggestions?

This is a discussion on Thinking about a new component system...suggestions? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Self-explanatory...bought my car with a decent clarion component system but it's on the way out. anyone have any thoughts on ...

Thinking about a new component system...suggestions?

Self-explanatory...bought my car with a decent clarion component system but it's on the way out. anyone have any thoughts on a good component system for an '04? Would like to try and limit it to systems that dont require a great deal of alteration to fit.
    America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought an amazing set of Diamond Audio HEX component series 6 1/2 and installed them in the front.

They sound amazing with 150 watt RMS feeding them! Best set of speakers I have ever owned, and if you order them online, you can get a steal on them.

Don't listen to my rears much. hah
    SOLD: 2004 WR Blue WRX
    SOLD:2006 WR Blue Wrx - Perrin 25mm Front Sway + 22mm Rear Adjustable Sway and Kartboy Endlinks - Nitto Invo 225/45/17 - Opensource STG One.
    CURRENT: 2006 Legacy GT Limited - STOCK (for now)

+1 for diamond components. I have the diamond 661 and I think they sound great.
    For Parts, Fast Shipping, Good Prices, Good Customer Service Please Visit: WWW.JSCSPEED.COM 215-489-2820
    272.1awhp/240tq

Diamonds are excellent, might I also suggest Focal. Whatever you decide, make sure you listen before you buy...

You should not really have any problems with modifiying the doors if there is already a system in there.
    As far as speakers go focal's are bad ass. But they cost a lot and to make them sound good you need a good amp on them. I run Focal Poly K2P's and have an XTANT 604 on them and they sound incrediable. But I also work at a shop and get to buy everything at cost. There is no way that I could afford the setup that I am running if I didn't work at a stero shop.
    The thing that I would suggest though is going to several shops and take a disc of music that you like. Then listen to your music on a varitey of speakers. Each speaker has its highs points and low points and really comes down to personal prefrence. Then after you have an idea on what kind of speakers that you want, you can shop around on the internet.

Yeah, definitely listen to a variety of speakers if you can... personal preference makes all the difference in the world. Also make sure that you use a quality amp to power your components... good speakers don't mean anything if you aren't sending a quality signal to them.

What mods are needed for 6 1/2's up front? My local shop says only the Focal Slims will fit with no mods.

Quote Originally Posted by dowright82 View Post
    I bought an amazing set of Diamond Audio HEX component series 6 1/2 and installed them in the front.

They sound amazing with 150 watt RMS feeding them! Best set of speakers I have ever owned, and if you order them online, you can get a steal on them.

Don't listen to my rears much. hah

I also have the Hex Components in 6.5 up front. I'm grossly underpowering them right now but even underpowered they sound fantastic. If you have a wagon I'd highly suggest rears as well. I had the fronts installed last summer and it just didn't sound right. The noise in the back acted like white noise and really screwed with the sound up front. I installed some 4 inch diamond D6 components in the back spots and the sound is much much fuller.

Last edited by Slide; 04-05-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrylbjr View Post
    What mods are needed for 6 1/2's up front? My local shop says only the Focal Slims will fit with no mods.
    You'll need a spacer to keep the window hardware from hitting the back of the speaker, with a little bit of work you can use the universal kind like you get at best buy. If you want a little easier install and a custom fit, you can order the IA Performance spacers, which work very well.

I ended up having to put two half inch spacers in the front doors and then we shaved a tiny bit off of the door panel. In the rear we cut the doors to fit in and we did not need any spacers.
    But since you have components you should have the spacers already in there.

Quote Originally Posted by devilduck54 View Post
    You should not really have any problems with modifiying the doors if there is already a system in there.
    As far as speakers go focal's are bad ass. But they cost a lot and to make them sound good you need a good amp on them. I run Focal Poly K2P's and have an XTANT 604 on them and they sound incrediable. But I also work at a shop and get to buy everything at cost. There is no way that I could afford the setup that I am running if I didn't work at a stero shop.
    The thing that I would suggest though is going to several shops and take a disc of music that you like. Then listen to your music on a varitey of speakers. Each speaker has its highs points and low points and really comes down to personal prefrence. Then after you have an idea on what kind of speakers that you want, you can shop around on the internet.
    Shame on you. I bought my last head unit from Crutchfield. I liked the spec's, features, and picture. They throw in a plug that I could solder to the head wiring and I'm satisfied.

For the speakers I bought locally. I listened to several brands and the ones I liked were not as cheap as the Internet sources, but they were not excessively higher. Support your local shop. You want them around next time.

I bought my hardware back in 2003 and it's no longer available. My car did not have a head, or speakers when new.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Web Foot, what are you saying shame on me for. I suggested that he shop around. I totally agree that it is better to support your local shops, but if you can get a much better deal on the net that sometimes that is what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by devilduck54 View Post
    Web Foot, what are you saying shame on me for. I suggested that he shop around. I totally agree that it is better to support your local shops, but if you can get a much better deal on the net that sometimes that is what you have to do.
    Just that you work at a shop and that you are telling people to come in, try everything out and the buy it else ware. Not a sustainable business model. If a person need the help of a business to make their decision then they should give that shop their money.

Your original advice is good, but not good for your wallet.

Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.