after market speakers.????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on after market speakers.???? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; has anyone out there installed after market speakers ??? i'm doing some tonight. I have done tones of them, but ...

after market speakers.????

has anyone out there installed after market speakers ??? i'm doing some tonight. I have done tones of them, but it's my frist on a wrx... and i know that ever time you install something for the first time there are stupid snags in things and clips that i don't know about... do I have to take the entire door panel off?? or is there another way.? can anyone give me some suggestions.????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did a writeup: click here
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I did a writeup: click here
    Excellent writeup, nice to see such good pictures.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It's an easy job, but one that a lot of people have questions about given the "hidden" nature of what's under the door panel.

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Darrell, I read your write up and its great, but I have one question for you. The Metra connectors (p/n 72-9301) you mention on the write up. That part number is listed for Toyota/Dodge/Mitsu's not for Subaru's. They do make p/n 72-9300 for 1981-2004 Subaru's though. Have you been having any issues with the part you purchased? I'm just curious because I would like to get the correct part and not have to worry about any troubles.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

No issues at all. Another option is to cut off the adapter on the end of the factory wiring at the speaker and just splice a pigtail of your own, but I wanted to keep the stock wiring harness intact.

What I did was I brought the stock speaker with me to Circuit City (I think), and found a Metra part that matched up. I didn't even pay attention to what vehicle it was intended for, I just knew it would work for my wiring.

The 72-9300 may very well work, but Circuit City probably just didn't have those in stock. In this image from a Google search, they look the same a the ones I have.

Circuit City page: Click Here (I just posted a review )

Last edited by Darrell; 03-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.

another question for you, I was just up at best buy and they said its pretty much impossible to fit any good aftermarket speakers in the doors because of the short depth. What were the exact models of your speakers and how much did they run because according to them if i want to put in good speakers I lose the ability to roll down my window which I highly doubt. How do your speakers sound and do u have them amped?

Quote Originally Posted by bgrab88 View Post
    according to them if i want to put in good speakers I lose the ability to roll down my window which I highly doubt.
    no, that is accurate. Unless you have the spacers, you can put aftermarket ones in. I had the spacers on the front only, so I could put my Polks in....the back- I had to settle with the stockers boooo
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

so if i follow the below directions then I can also make the spacers for my rear speakers and put the aftermarket ones in there as well? How do the polks sound, ive never heard of them before, why did u decided to go with them?

You need to make or buy spacers like the ones that I fabricated. This is the first time I have made speaker adapters and it was easy. Just took a Saturday afternoon if I recall correctly. My windows do not hit the magnets.

The Polk db's are pretty good. I'm no big audiophile or anything, but I like clear music. I am running a Pioneer Premier DEH-P550MP head unit (pretty old, but does play MP3s and WMAs), which puts out pretty good sound, but can get very hot and start losing clarity at higher volume levels. No separate amp for me.

I decided to go with the Polks because they have composite cones and butyl rubber surrounds (weather resistant), they have a built-in crossover, and they were on sale for buy one pair get one at 1/2 off at Circuit City.com. So I bought them online and picked them up in the store 30 minutes later.

FWIW, my friend said that my stereo system (probably cost me $350 total) sounds better than his Maxima with Bose stereo.

you got me sold im going to pick up a pair this weekend and it will be a good learning experience. Why did u choose not to upgrade the tweeters?

The stock tweeters aren't all that bad and I wasn't interested in installing component speakers with a crossover and all at the time.

Darrell, that is an awesome write up. Much appreciated! In your travels, have you seen anyone that has done a write up regarding the mounting of aftermarket tweeters (as part of a component set) in the stock location? I'm sure that the 2ways sound great in the door, but I've fallen in love with seperates.

I'm seen them around, but I'd have to search.

Darrell so I need to go and purchase a 3/4" mdf and 1/4" mdf? Also when you refer to the template to cut the mdf from how did you make the template?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.