Head unit for stock scooby
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Head unit for stock scooby within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought an 02 wrx. The car is in its stock condition with the stock 6 disk head unit. I ...

Banned

Head unit for stock scooby

Just bought an 02 wrx. The car is in its stock condition with the stock 6 disk head unit. I have an acendant audio 15" ported and a elemntal designs amp(set up kicks ass ). I researched using the stock head unit but the wire splicing and what not will not cut it(correct me if im wrong). I would like the best head unit for under 500 dollars that money can buy me. I have an xm satalite radio subscription and would like to put it to use without the protable thing. Any sugestions. I would like to keep the flow of the size of the stock head unit if posible(Which may not be the best option) and run satalite radio without the prortable divice. Oh and I own a microsoft zune which was audio outs like a tv audio set.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an Alpine deck, which i strongly recommend Alpine or Pioneer decks. They now have hook ups for aux jacks and sat radio ready.

I just replaced my stock head unit with a Kenwood single din. I put a Forester din pocket underneath it, but had to drill new holes into the mounting bracket. The Kenwood has an auxiliary output, but it was in the back. So I drilled a hole in the din pocket and threaded a Monster Cable adapter through it. Now I can plug my Creative Zen right into it and place it back into the din pocket to hide it. I'll add pics if you want to see them. The din pocket was $20. The 1/8th inch stereo plug hooks into the headphone jack and was $20. I went with the Kenwood because I've had good luck with it in the past and because it puts out more RMS power than Sony and many others. 22Watts.
    Last edited by section9; 03-05-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    Batmobile: 2002 WRX wagon RIP

You paid $20 for an auxiliary cable with a 3.5mm headphone jack on each side?

You should of went to best buy in the home theater area, they sell the same thing for $5 dollars.

Edit: just saw you live in Alaska, no idea if there are any even up there

I also coulda gotten it from Radio Shack for five bucks, but I didn't. Better yet, my stock head unit worked fine, so I shoulda kept that in. I went with the Monster Cable one because I didn't want to have to replace it in the off chance that a no name brand cable would pick up interference from all the other wires there. My 20 bucks.

Banned

din pocket

So I gess there are alot of options as far as the deck goes. It looks like ill have to fabricate my own din pocket. Where do you find the right one for the type of install. Those pics would be nice so i could see what I'm geting myself into with this whole install.

I took the pics, but can't find the usb cable to get it onto the computer. I've seen pics on this forum before. I didn't fabricate anything. I think the din pocket I used is made for the forester. Definitely do a search and get the right part number. You local suby dealer isn't going to know which one. I've deleted all the links I used for this project, sorry.

Back to the din pocket, I just had to drill 4 new holes into the mounting bracket that fit the old head unit. The new Kenwood head unit fit it just fine. Hmm. I wonder if I could have used the mounting sleeve that came with the Kenwood to mount the din pocket onto the stock mounting bracket! Probably. I didn't even think about it till now!

O.K. Here are the pics if you're still interested. Or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenwood1.jpg   Kenwood2.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.