AVIC-Z1 Install. '06 Limited WRX

This is a discussion on AVIC-Z1 Install. '06 Limited WRX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats up everybody! I'm a new member on this forum. I have been on NASIOC.com and AVIC411.com for some time ...

AVIC-Z1 Install. '06 Limited WRX

Whats up everybody! I'm a new member on this forum. I have been on NASIOC.com and AVIC411.com for some time and just found this great forum. Keep up the good work to all the moderators and admins here, seriously, nice job! I have a new '06 limited WRX that I will be installing a new AVIC-Z1 in. It has a post july manufactured date. I am pretty familiar with how the install will go, but I still have a few foggy areas I was hoping some could fill me in on. By the way, I have done "searches" here and have found great intel so far, but these are a few specific questions, related to my vehicle and the Z1. here they are:

1. Whats the best way to remove the stock HU? I understand you start through the "shifter", and continue to remove panels, but I can't figure out how to get that started. Many of these plastic clips feel "breakable" and would like to know how to pull them off correctly.

2. The VSS and Reverse are located on the ECU which is on the passenger floor, correct? What exactly do I do to hook those two wires up? Do I just splice into each one of them? If so, what is the deal with the "pins" I'm supposed to remove, I can't quite figure that out.

3. The bypass. I have a post july unit so I won't need the flasher, and I have the Bluetooth update CD, BUT, I'm still a little foggy on what are the EXACT two wires that need to be grounded. After I HAVE found the two wires that need to be grounded, how do I do so? Again, It's the "pin" thing I don't understand. If they need to be grounded can't I just hook them up to a piece of grounded metal?

4. If you have any recomendations for running the wires from my backup cam (rear lisence plate) up to the front? People have removed seats for this and I'm checking to see if that's really nessesary.

Obviously pics can explain a lot of this very well, so If anyone has any please post, It could save a lot of dialog but just pionting to the correct wire (or PIN!!)

Thanks in advance for any responses, And I'm sure I'll be speaking with all of you more once I actually have this thing installed. I'm all about the customizations and stuff like that. Jokes are always appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1. I can answer one.
    It's very easy to do. Get a butter knife for something flat and pry the plastic part to the south of the shifter (closest to the e-brake) Then just start lifting up toward the ceiling. You will have to remove your shift knob but those are pretty easy. Just turn i believe clockwise and it will just unscrew. after that just keep on pullin, the clips come out very easy.
    Stage II and loving it!

here is my stereo install in an 06 wrx limited.

the ECU is on the passenger side. as for the "pins" im not sure. my buddy hooked up my avicn1. i know he had to tap the wires from the ECU.

the camera wire can be run from the trunk, under the back seat, along the doors , and then to the HU. you can take out the seats and carpet. it would be cleaner and lower your risk of 'noise'. rip the carpet and seats out if youre gonna do a full install (ie, amp, sub, etc...)
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

you don't neeed to attach to the speed senser and stuff. the z1 has a gyro built in and is almost axactly on point. the only reason for that is so it can be dead on.. but i don thave mine attached and i would never know the diff.