apexi TT w/ aftermarket alarm help needed

This is a discussion on apexi TT w/ aftermarket alarm help needed within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; please dont refer me to swank monkey's blitz/stock alarm site i have the pen shaped apexi alarm with an aftermarket ...

apexi TT w/ aftermarket alarm help needed

please dont refer me to swank monkey's blitz/stock alarm site
    i have the pen shaped apexi alarm with an aftermarket alarm. got the hks harness. installed it and the alarm wont arm while the TT is idling engine. tried to change the connection of the alarm from the accessory wire to the 2nd ign wire, car wont start. now what? please help me...
    ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try this link out. It is specifically for a Blitz TT but it might also help you with some problems:

Blitz Dual TT DC purple wire?

Also, here's another link from NASIOC:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...66#post1710066

Good luck bro,

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

thanx but those seem to be for the factory alarm right? so.....
    ken

okay yeah I had a hellova time installing this thing with crappy people's post. I used Ravensblade.com to get the ECU Spec sheets and I think there is also a step by step tuturial to guide you on the install on i-club. Basically you forgot to snip a wire from the stock alarm head unit. It's located right above the fuse box thingy under the left hand side of the steering wheel. It's not timing properly since the alarm is taking over the ignitiion system. I had to search heavily on this install since Apexi sucks at instructions and No one here puts down anymore good step by step installations. I wish I had a digital camera so I could help your out. sorry but sucks to be you, but you should be able to figure it out, just take some time to research fully before installing things...

-alex

Let me know if your able to get the automatic count down feature to work. I had mine installed at a Subaru dealership and it doesn't automaticaly configure its count down time.

Um, guys....he doesn't have the factory alarm.

not ken's: You're going to need to figure out a wiring diagram for your aftermarket alarm (that is if you can't find one). Once you have that all layed out, you'll need to find the wire that controls the ignition cutoff and splice it into one of the wires on the turbo timer. I can't remember offhand which wire it is, but one of the tutorials (I think scoobymods) should tell you.

Good luck to ya!

RVwrx: No personal experience with the Apex'i unit, but I'm guessing it has manual and automatic countdown modes. If it was installed properly, you should just have to switch to auto mode to have it count down by itself.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Then I don't think it was installed properly, because when I switch it to the automatic mode it never adjusts. So I would like to say that Irvine Subaru (SPI motorsports) didn't get it right, and they are supposed to be an authorized Apex'i dealer.

Re: apexi TT w/ aftermarket alarm help needed

could you let us know what kind of aftermarket alarm was installed in your vehicle? if it's a viper, there should be a yellow wire that's tapped to the Ignition wire off the Ignition Harness.

You will need a 12 volt 30/40 amp style relay and some blue female spade terminals.

Connect the following wires:
    Pin 86 and Pin 87 to the Ignition Output wire of the Turbo Timer
    Pin 87A needs to be connected to the Key side of the Ignition wire and the Yellow Ignition sensing wire off the Alarm brain
    Pin 85 connects to ground
    Pin 30 connects to the Car side of the Ignition wire off the Ignition Harness

The Turbo Timer's Ignition wire does not attach to any part of the vehicle's Ignition wire off the Ignition wire harness. The wire needs to be tapped to the above relay.

You will need to cut the Ignition wire in half to use the above relay setup. Be sure to carefully strip the wires and wind the wire ends tightly before crimping. Be sure you don't have any stray wires coming out of the female spade crimps.

How this works?
    When the vehicle is running with key in ignition, Pin 87A & Pin 30 is connected. When you remove the key and the Turbo Timer starts, Pin 87 & Pin 30 are connected and your vehicle should be idling. The Yellow Ignition Sensing wire is disconnected and your alarm will think the vehicle is off. This allows you to arm your alarm system. Be sure to turn down your shock sensor enough so it won't be set off by the engine idling.

netZ

Originally posted by not ken's
    please dont refer me to swank monkey's blitz/stock alarm site
    i have the pen shaped apexi alarm with an aftermarket alarm. got the hks harness. installed it and the alarm wont arm while the TT is idling engine. tried to change the connection of the alarm from the accessory wire to the 2nd ign wire, car wont start. now what? please help me...
    ken

its the clifford G4

also... the pins you refer to... 85, 86, 87, 87a, 30, are these pins off the car's ecu? or the relay? or the alarm?
    cuz i know theres a blue (i think its blue) wire that connects to the ign wire that the yellow one you describe does.
    thanx
    ken

no, a 12 volt Relay...

http://www.nwaltfuels.com/catalog/relay.html

which Clifford G4 are you referring to? IQx000? Solaris? Avantguard 4, Matrix etc?

You should be able to do the same, most Clifford G4 systems cut the ignition wire already.

netZ

also... the pins you refer to... 85, 86, 87, 87a, 30, are these pins off the car's ecu? or the relay? or the alarm?
    cuz i know theres a blue (i think its blue) wire that connects to the ign wire that the yellow one you describe does.
    thanx
    ken

ok... you keep saying ignition wire.... you mean the accessory wire right? there are 4 wires at the harness, 12v, accessory, 2nd ign, and gnd... your talking about the accessory wire right? just ned to make sure
    thanx
    ken

no, ignition wire... the turbo timer powers the ignition wire to ensure the vehicle is still running. the accessory wire is normally used for radio, heat & ac etc etc etc...

most alarms detect if the vehicle is running by tapping the vehicle's ignition wire.

if you're not familiar with 12 volt electronics, better have a certified installer do this install.

netZ

ok... you keep saying ignition wire.... you mean the accessory wire right? there are 4 wires at the harness, 12v, accessory, 2nd ign, and gnd... your talking about the accessory wire right? just ned to make sure
    thanx
    ken

well.... the alarm seems to be tapped into the accessory wire... there are 4 wires as i said before... it should be tapped into one of two right (not the constant 12v or gnd) it is tapped into the one that gets power when the key is turn to any position put the off. im pretty sure that would be the accessory wire correct? so would it still work?
    ken

Re: Re: apexi TT w/ aftermarket alarm help needed

Originally posted by netZ
    could you let us know what kind of aftermarket alarm was installed in your vehicle? if it's a viper, there should be a yellow wire that's tapped to the Ignition wire off the Ignition Harness.

You will need a 12 volt 30/40 amp style relay and some blue female spade terminals.

Connect the following wires:
    Pin 86 and Pin 87 to the Ignition Output wire of the Turbo Timer
    Pin 87A needs to be connected to the Key side of the Ignition wire and the Yellow Ignition sensing wire off the Alarm brain
    Pin 85 connects to ground
    Pin 30 connects to the Car side of the Ignition wire off the Ignition Harness

The Turbo Timer's Ignition wire does not attach to any part of the vehicle's Ignition wire off the Ignition wire harness. The wire needs to be tapped to the above relay.

You will need to cut the Ignition wire in half to use the above relay setup. Be sure to carefully strip the wires and wind the wire ends tightly before crimping. Be sure you don't have any stray wires coming out of the female spade crimps.

How this works?
    When the vehicle is running with key in ignition, Pin 87A & Pin 30 is connected. When you remove the key and the Turbo Timer starts, Pin 87 & Pin 30 are connected and your vehicle should be idling. The Yellow Ignition Sensing wire is disconnected and your alarm will think the vehicle is off. This allows you to arm your alarm system. Be sure to turn down your shock sensor enough so it won't be set off by the engine idling.

netZ
    MODIFIED 2/9/2003

For most Turbo Timers that have an 'auto' turn on immediately after the Ignition key switched to Off.

Basic Turbo Timers will have at minimum of 4 wires. Constant 12 Volt, Ground, Ignition Power Output & Accessory Power Output. Full featured Turbo Timers will include wires for at least the Hand Brake, VSS and/or Tach.

This modification will work for either. It 'tricks' the aftermarket alarm system by disconnecting the Alarm's Ignition sensing wire to allow the aftermarket alarm system to arm while the Turbo Timer is counting down.

What you need is the following:
    1 Bosch or Potter Brumfield 30/40 amp SPDT Relay.
    Several fully insulated female terminals
    Some 12 or 14 gauge hook up wire, any color is up to you
    1 6 amp diode
    Some butt connectors

Wire up the relay as follows:

Wire 2 wires into Pin 86, insert 2 wires into the female spade terminal and crimp it.

The first wire from Pin 86 will attach to the TT's Accessory Output wire.

The second wire from Pin 86 will attach to the 6 amp diode. The diode's Cathode (silver ring) needs to be closer to the WRX's Accessory wire.

Pin 85 connects to a good ground connection within the vehicle.

Remove the aftermarket alarm system's igntion sensing wire off the WRX's Ignition wire.

Attach that wire to Pin 87 of the relay.

Then attach a fully insulated terminal with a wire crimped and tapped to Pin 30.

The wire from Pin 30 and the TT's Ignition Output wire will tap to the same location of where the Aftermarket Alarm system's Ignition sensing wire was tapped into.

While the TT's counting down, arm your alarm system. If your shock sensor is too sensitive, reduce it enough so that the alarm will not fully trigger while the TT's operating.

How this works?
    TT's uses it's Ignition Ouput wire as a 2 way. It senses when the vehicle is shutting off and immediately supplies voltage to the Accessory and Ignition power wires.

The diode on the TT's Accessory wire prevents the relay from activating while the TT's not operating, ie. normal driving etc. Once the TT's Ignition Power wire senses the vehicle has been shut off, it will send power through the Accessory and Ignition Output wires. The Accessory wire will do 2 things, it will trigger the relay to disconnect the Aftermarket Alarm system's Ignition Sensing wire and power the WRX's Accessory Wire.

pretty neat eh?

netZ
    Last edited by netZ; 02-13-2003 at 12:52 PM.