Question about speaker spacers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about speaker spacers within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to replace the front door speakers on my '04 WRX. My car has a Rockford Fosgate component system, ...

Question about speaker spacers

I'm going to replace the front door speakers on my '04 WRX. My car has a Rockford Fosgate component system, and I want to know if this was the factory installed premium sound. The reason is I don't want to waste my money on spacers if this is an aftermarket system and I already have them. It's too cold now to be opening up the door panel to see for myself, and I want to order the speakers today or tomorrow, but don't know whether or not to get spacers too. Thanks.

BTW: am I safe to go with any 6.5" speakers that have 4 ohms resistance? (same as current speakers) I'm thinking about going with Infinity Reference 6012SI.
    Last edited by JavaBlack; 02-18-2007 at 10:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The easiest way to tell is to pop the door off and look. It only takes a second, and unless you can say which model of speaker is installed and what size. But most people that upgrade are going to go bigger then the 5 1/4s that are in there. So based off of that I would say that you already some kind of spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaBlack View Post
    I'm going to replace the front door speakers on my '04 WRX. My car has the Rockford Fosgate component system, and I want to know if this was the factory installed premium sound. The reason is I don't want to waste my money on spacers if this is an aftermarket system and I already have them. It's too cold now to be opening up the door panel to see for myself, and I want to order the speakers today or tomorrow, but don't know whether or not to get spacers too. Thanks.

BTW: am I safe to go with any 6.5" speakers that have 4 ohms resistance? (same as current speakers) I'm thinking about going with Infinity Reference 6012SI.
    Where are you ordering the spacers from?
    If its crutchfield, theirs suck for subaru's. I had to break out the dremmel and drill to make them work, and even then its not the best fit.

if your going to get spacers, get these:
    http://www.iaperformance.com/product...7390ad3baef503
    at least, im going to get some of those to try out when its not so damn cold. no matter what im sure they'll work better than crutchfield's.

as for your system, i dont know if they have spacers that will work for your infinity's or not... someone else will have to help you with that, sorry.

I found the documentation in the glovebox and it turns out this actually is an aftermarket system, my fronts are 6.5". So I guess I can assume that there's already going to be spacers there. I'll pop the door panel just to make sure though, too bad it's like 10 degrees outside right now

If you can you should look the specs on the speakers that are in there. If the depth of the infinity that you want to put in is not deeper then the ones that are in there then you don't need to pull the door panel.

What amp will you be running? I'm looking to get new speakers and an amp soon. I'm thinking of going phoenix gold octane 8.0:4 with daimond audio components HEX series.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Nevermind this, I just found that my front speakers are fine. The sound I thought was blown speakers is actually the door panels vibrating. When I press hard on the panels, the sound is perfect. I mean they're REALLY vibrating bad, it's unbearable.

I did a search and found that lots of people are having this problem, only most people have it coming from the passenger side, I have it from both sides. I'm thinking I should put some dynamat in there, unless anyone has any other suggestions?
    Last edited by JavaBlack; 02-16-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Update: I pulled the driver's door panel, planning on cutting that ring that sits against the speaker. It turns out it's already been trimmed all the way down to fit the speakers that are in now, so nothing's touching.

So plan B was to stuff some rags into the door to keep the panel firm, but every which way I tried to arrange it, the pressure on the door panel pops the fasteners loose every time I shut the door. If I arrange the rags in a way that there's less pressure on the panel, it starts vibrating again. So I'm kind of at a loss here.

I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and pay a professional audio place to dynamat the doors for me. Is this an expensive job?

i was quoted 35 dollars labor for each door and 40 for the dynamat. I feel thats a bit pricey. I'm sure you can find it cheaper for that
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

That's about what I expected. I'm debating whether I should just do it myself or not. The problem is it's so freakin cold out right now and it looks like it's gonna stay that way for a while. And I think I would rather know it was done the right way by people who know what they're doing. I'm gonna stop by Car Tunes tomorrow and get a quote, hopefully it's similar or less than what you said.

35 dollars for installing the speakers is about the average. At the stero shop I work at we charge 30 plus a 5 dollar part charge for installing speakers in the door. I do not think we charge as much for dynomating if it is done at the same time. But I think we charge 40 if it is sperate from installing the speakers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.