Which short shifter should I get?

This is a discussion on Which short shifter should I get? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; short shifter?...

Which short shifter should I get?

short shifter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the dealer option short shift on my wagon and I'm liking it.... very positive without bein too notchy.... only thing is the gate into third is kinda wide.... haven't missed a shift yet but I could see it happening.
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

i have the dealers one on right now, but a bushing went out last night and now its taking over 5 days just for this one part or i can just switch to a different one, i dont like to wait

Banned
    First off please post in the correct section in the future.

Most people will recomend either the kartboy or the COBB shortshifter. Both are very good and very compareble to eachother. The cool thing about the cobb though is that it is double adjustiable and you can adjust the shift throw and height of the shifter. I have the COBB one and i love it.

I have the factory short throw along with kartboy front and rear bushings and a momo shift knob. I like the way it feels, but I often wonder if the cobb unit would feel better. I have never driven a subaru with a short shifter other than the factory option.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

kartboy is good
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+1 for KB, I had the cobb, and had problems with it slipping at the bottom adjustment point, I would strip the bolt before it would be tight enough not to slip. If/when I get another SS I will be going with the KB.
    94 Anthracite 6spd Supra - 9.87@147

LS2 RX7-2014 Tundra DC-GD Race Car In Progress

what bushing went out?

Quote Originally Posted by stud100spray View Post
    I have the dealer option short shift on my wagon and I'm liking it.... very positive without bein too notchy.... only thing is the gate into third is kinda wide.... haven't missed a shift yet but I could see it happening.
    Hmm...Mine's complete opposite. I also have the factory short shifter, and 3rd is real hard for me to get it in there...I really have to push it...and the rest of the time, seems real notchy. Also, I have the hardest time putting the car into reverse...I think I'm going to get some new bushings or maybe a whole new short throw.

gk1
    I have the kartboy shifter and full bushing set from them. Dont even bother unless you got both bushings. The factory bushings suck. After seeing the difference in them you will know why the kartboys feel much tighter and smooth. 5th gear is still a little too far out for my taste but no one can work miracles.

While I cannot comment on Kartboy, I purchased the COBB unit only for it's adjustability. For a little over $100, money well spent. I did top it off with a Kartboy aluminum knob though.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Got a Prodrive from the dealer. Love it. Solid shifts all around, especially with a heavy shift knob.