driver-passenger seat swap

This is a discussion on driver-passenger seat swap within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; in my05 WRX the driver seat has lots of adjustability, but the passenger seat has not much, specifically the height ...

driver-passenger seat swap

in my05 WRX the driver seat has lots of adjustability, but the passenger seat has not much, specifically the height adjustment. anyone know if the passenger seat can be swapped for the base to a driver seat for added adjustment? it should fit i think, but would the levers and such to adjust it be able to be switched to the opposite side of the seat?
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am not sure I am reading this right but here goes....

I am sure you could do this, however its going to be really dangerous to get into a side impact if you do.

The driver would get hit with the bag, and the passenger would be pushed towards the impact.

Not exactly safe.

If I read this wrong, then just ignore me.

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    I imagine you could swap the seat between base units, but if you want to use the drivers side slider base thing on the passenger side, you'll have hard luck I think. The mounts for the seat are not symetrical, and mirror each other from drivers to passenger side, so they aren't interchangeable.

The only thing that might work, is if you could find a set of JDM seats with height adjustment. They drive on the right side over there, so the seat will have height adjustment on the right side (aka US and most of the rest of the worlds passenger side). Plus, you'll get the typically snugger fitting seats that they get in japan.

JH

p.s. Like the previous poster said, make sure to take the airbag system into account. Either switch the upper seat part onto a new bracket or disconnect the airbag entirely. You'll get a dash indicator light with it, but its better then it firing towards center. Its only a few bolts to take it off and switch the seats to the other side, so its certainly worth doing.
    Last edited by Electric-Mayhem; 01-22-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Yeah, I'd say the best bet would be to get a JDM driver's seat. They sit a little lower though so you'd have to do something about that.