Gauges!?!?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gauges!?!? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So what kind of gauges does everyone use in here and what type?? Boost, egt, oil...? I know that autometer ...

Gauges!?!?

So what kind of gauges does everyone use in here and what type?? Boost, egt, oil...? I know that autometer is the best for its price but how accurate are they? I wanted to get some that are backlit and preferably electrical..dont know much about tapping those mechanical gauges. What does everyone suggest? I was planning on running 3 gauges on a center gauge pod or somethin like the oem one you can buy from the dealer..anyone here got a package they wanna sell?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have autometer gauges... they work great. i have boost/vac, egt, air/fuel and oil press.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

i've got defi bf egt, oil pressure, and boost
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I have VDO gauges - Boost, Oil Press and temp, and EGT.

Had I the opportunity and the $$$ to do it again, I think I'd buy the Omori gauges. They look like stock and are supposed to perform well.

misterx

I just posted my Blitz guages for sale on Ebay as a package with an A piller pod.Blitz i-D Guage Package Subaru Impreza WRX

autometer 3 gauge a-pillar pod w/ boost, EGT and A/F ratio.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

I have the Omori 60mm boost, EGT, and fuel pressure on the a-pillar and the Omori 45mm oil pressure,oil temp, and water temp. in the center pod. They are awsome gauges. Match the factory gauges perfect and are very easy to read.

I just find it outrageous that these companies charge so much for their gauges. Autometer and/or nordskog gauges are just as accurate, if not more, and they're like 1/4 the price. $200 for an electrical oil pressure gauge? Come on! The only guage that should be expensive, is the EGT. That actually has parts that are expensive.

Larry

Originally posted by LTrain
    I just find it outrageous that these companies charge so much for their gauges. Autometer and/or nordskog gauges are just as accurate, if not more, and they're like 1/4 the price. $200 for an electrical oil pressure gauge? Come on! The only guage that should be expensive, is the EGT. That actually has parts that are expensive.

Larry
    It depends on the guages. I have the Defi, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are all electronic, so I'm not routing anything I shouldn't be into the cabin. (IE: fuel, oil, etc) They also use stepping motors in the guages themselves, and they're very accurate in my experience. And with the probes all going to the controller and then the guages simply daisy chained together it makes installs very easy, because you can route all the wires someplace alot easier to get to. It's got a record feature, peak hold feature, and warning light feature.

It's not that other guages aren't as good or better; some of them are. It's pretty much about what features you're willing to pay for.

I use boost, EGT, and fuel pressure guages. I'm thinking of oil pressure/temp in the future, as soon as I can think of a good place to mount them.

-John
    Last edited by MadDog; 01-06-2003 at 04:23 PM.
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

More gimmicks more to break. If the control panel breaks then ALL your gauges go down.

The electronic versions of autometer and VDO are also way cheaper too. So that takes care of the easier install issue.

The $$$ is for the Name, look, and Peak/warning features.

That's a perspective thing, but I think $300 more just does not justify it for me. I personally think they are a rip-off with high mark-up for the retailers who obviously have incentive to promote them. Can't make much on a $50 autometer, but think of the mark-up on an imported $200 gauge.

All that said, they do look nice, but I'd hate for someone to break my window to steal my gauges...now that would suck major.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Right, I get what you mean. For some people it's worth it, for some it's not. Some folks spend $500+ on a muffler purely for sound, and some people spend $70 at a muffler shop for a straight pipe and get the same effect. Different strokes for different folks.

-John
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

I really like the Omiori. All the guages match the factory dash lighting. It just looks better...IMO. i have used both AutoMeter and GReddy gauges in my previous car. they are both very good gauges.

dang.... These gauges cost fortune!
    Do you guys thing
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1876430286
    is worth the money?

Just an autometer boost gauge for now. I plan on adding and egt, and either, fuel pressure, oil pressure, or a/f ratio, later.
    03 WRB sedan

I know I need a boost guage, and I think I know I need an EGT gauge. But if I use the pod, I have room for one more... what is the best way to go? Are there any boost guages that will mount like the OEM one, but give better readings? (I've heard the OEM one isn't so great)

I don't plan on making any wild mods to my car. Up/Down Pipe, Catback and maybe an boost controller and ECUTEK are about as radical as I'm gonna get.. but I know I need the guages before I start doing anything. I'm still just trying to get a plan for what to do first and next.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast