Subaru WRX Forum banner

Gauges!?!?

13K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  AE2RSM 
#1 ·
So what kind of gauges does everyone use in here and what type?? Boost, egt, oil...? I know that autometer is the best for its price but how accurate are they? I wanted to get some that are backlit and preferably electrical..dont know much about tapping those mechanical gauges. What does everyone suggest? I was planning on running 3 gauges on a center gauge pod or somethin like the oem one you can buy from the dealer..anyone here got a package they wanna sell?

Thanks!!

#8 ·
I just find it outrageous that these companies charge so much for their gauges. Autometer and/or nordskog gauges are just as accurate, if not more, and they're like 1/4 the price. $200 for an electrical oil pressure gauge? Come on! The only guage that should be expensive, is the EGT. That actually has parts that are expensive.

Larry

#9 · (Edited)
LTrain said:
I just find it outrageous that these companies charge so much for their gauges. Autometer and/or nordskog gauges are just as accurate, if not more, and they're like 1/4 the price. $200 for an electrical oil pressure gauge? Come on! The only guage that should be expensive, is the EGT. That actually has parts that are expensive.

Larry
It depends on the guages. I have the Defi, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. :D They are all electronic, so I'm not routing anything I shouldn't be into the cabin. (IE: fuel, oil, etc) They also use stepping motors in the guages themselves, and they're very accurate in my experience. And with the probes all going to the controller and then the guages simply daisy chained together it makes installs very easy, because you can route all the wires someplace alot easier to get to. :D It's got a record feature, peak hold feature, and warning light feature.

It's not that other guages aren't as good or better; some of them are. It's pretty much about what features you're willing to pay for. :)

I use boost, EGT, and fuel pressure guages. I'm thinking of oil pressure/temp in the future, as soon as I can think of a good place to mount them. :)

-John

#10 ·
More gimmicks more to break. If the control panel breaks then ALL your gauges go down.

The electronic versions of autometer and VDO are also way cheaper too. So that takes care of the easier install issue.

The $$$ is for the Name, look, and Peak/warning features.

That's a perspective thing, but I think $300 more just does not justify it for me. I personally think they are a rip-off with high mark-up for the retailers who obviously have incentive to promote them. Can't make much on a $50 autometer, but think of the mark-up on an imported $200 gauge.

All that said, they do look nice, but I'd hate for someone to break my window to steal my gauges...now that would suck major.

#11 ·
Right, I get what you mean. For some people it's worth it, for some it's not. Some folks spend $500+ on a muffler purely for sound, and some people spend $70 at a muffler shop for a straight pipe and get the same effect. :) Different strokes for different folks. :)

-John

#15 ·
I know I need a boost guage, and I think I know I need an EGT gauge. But if I use the pod, I have room for one more... what is the best way to go? Are there any boost guages that will mount like the OEM one, but give better readings? (I've heard the OEM one isn't so great)

I don't plan on making any wild mods to my car. Up/Down Pipe, Catback and maybe an boost controller and ECUTEK are about as radical as I'm gonna get.. but I know I need the guages before I start doing anything. I'm still just trying to get a plan for what to do first and next. :)

#16 ·
nyxjf-- that is a big ripoff at $399... those are autometer gauges and they sell for about $50-$60 each i believe... the housing is probably $75-$100 but i dont really know. even if it cost more its still not a good deal at all...

racenut-- unless you already decided you didnt want to go this way, another option for your gauges is an a-pillar, where you can just use two gauges mounted there. i think its a better spot to be able to keep an eye on your gauges anyways.

o-|-<) bryan

#17 ·
I think I would only go with a pillar mount if the 3 positions afforded by the dash pod were all used up. Mine is a wagon, so I've heard there are not any A pillar replacements, so I would have to use a partial and mount it on there somehow, and paint it.. and by the time I was done it would just look like cheap crap. Also, my wife drives this car M-F, it's my weekend hot rod :), and she doesn't like the pillar mounts in the pictures I've found to show her.

If I need a 4th guage (I hope not), I could go to a steering pod mount turbo, then the 3 in the dash pod. Anyway.. thanks for the suggestion.

But I'm thinking Boost, EGT and Oil Pressure would be my choice, but maybe I'm missing something?

#21 ·
ShotgunTC88 said:
While were gaugein stuff here:

Who makes a SINGLE Gauge POD? (for Autometer E.G.T)

I think that and a Boost is all I need for now.

Shotgun
are you looking for a pod to replace the clock on the dash? if so i am not aware of anyone making a single pod...

you could always mount the boost gauge on the steering column...

#22 · (Edited)
Shotgun,

I've got a single A pillar dash pod on order from Subie Gal. She had some before, but ran out. There are 52mm and 60mm sizes available.

Here's the link:
http://www.subiegal.com/For Sale/forsale.htm

And here's the link to the photo:

I'll probably get the Omari boost gauge to go with it in my Wagon.

Hope this helps...

#23 ·
on the subject of gauges-

have any of you guys with the a-piller pods had any problems with the cops or anything? it just seems to me that a big tall cluster of gauges right next to the drivers side window would be a cop magnet.

maybe im just being paranoid, but couldnt cops use the gauges as probable cause to see exactly how super tuned and emissions illegal your car is?

i think they look cool, but i want more of the discreet sleeper look so am leaning more towards the center pod when i get my gauges...

#24 ·
SacWagon said:
on the subject of gauges-

have any of you guys with the a-piller pods had any problems with the cops or anything? it just seems to me that a big tall cluster of gauges right next to the drivers side window would be a cop magnet.

maybe im just being paranoid, but couldnt cops use the gauges as probable cause to see exactly how super tuned and emissions illegal your car is?

i think they look cool, but i want more of the discreet sleeper look so am leaning more towards the center pod when i get my gauges...
part of the reason i went with the defi pod...that and that i think the a-piller is a little ricey for my taste...

#26 ·
I wasn't going to say anything, since I'm not a registered vendor, but since you brought my product up, I'll try to explain why the price is what it is. The gauges are actually one of the lesser expenses of that kit. Where the price goes up is in the small parts, the aluminum faceplate, the braided stainless lines, the fully loomed 300deg TXL wire in the harness, etc. If you don't feel that it is worth the price, that is your decision. However, I can tell you that at that price I am barely making a profit. I also feel that my kit is much better than the OEM Subaru kit that runs from $550 to $650. I may be able to offer a discount to club members. Email me at jhebert@wrxtra.com or PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking. :)

J.B.
WRXtra

nyxjf said:
dang.... These gauges cost fortune!
Do you guys thing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33675&item=1876430286
is worth the money?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.