Subaru WRX Forum banner

Gauges!?!?

13K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  AE2RSM 
#1 ·
So what kind of gauges does everyone use in here and what type?? Boost, egt, oil...? I know that autometer is the best for its price but how accurate are they? I wanted to get some that are backlit and preferably electrical..dont know much about tapping those mechanical gauges. What does everyone suggest? I was planning on running 3 gauges on a center gauge pod or somethin like the oem one you can buy from the dealer..anyone here got a package they wanna sell?

Thanks!!

#27 ·
I'm looking for gauges myself. Want boost, oil temp, and EGT. But I'm still trying to find some good electronic gauges that light up blue or white (I changed my dash lights to blue, so I'd like it to match) AND are in regular units (PSI!) Not having much luck though. I like the Autometer Cobalts, but they are damn expensive and they don't have oil temp. I like the defi BFs, but boost is in bar. How about the regular defi gauges listed on www.fastwrx.com? Anybody know what color they light?

Anybody have any suggestions?

#28 ·
verbal:

The Apex EL gauges are white and light up blue. they offer both electronic and mechanical gauges. but apex only offers a mechanical boost gauge that read psi. the electronic boost gauge is in kpa (bar).

check out http://www.worldoneperformance.com

look in the gauges section under apex gauges and it shows a large picture of the gauge lit up in blue.

the only problem that you might find is price (according to your statement about the colbolt autometer gauges price).

#30 ·
mbpWRX said:
verbal:

The Apex EL gauges are white and light up blue. they offer both electronic and mechanical gauges. but apex only offers a mechanical boost gauge that read psi. the electronic boost gauge is in kpa (bar).

check out http://www.worldoneperformance.com

look in the gauges section under apex gauges and it shows a large picture of the gauge lit up in blue.

the only problem that you might find is price (according to your statement about the colbolt autometer gauges price).
Thanks for the reply, but I checked those out a while ago. I don't like how the whole face lights up a light cyan. Thanks anyway!

#32 ·
I was going to get the performance guage pack installed at Subaru tomorrow, but I now don't know if it's worth doing. Money isn't the real issue, but my wife is irritated there will be no more clock! It'd be handy to see some pictures too on how lit up these guages are at night before I go in tomorrow. All help/advice appreciated. I have ZERO car experience, so installing myself is NOT an option. All I'm looking for is info on the one I'm getting, not the one I SHOULD be getting, ok!?

Thanks guys!

#42 ·
WRC_Obsessed said:
Inside day off
Those look sooooo nice! I really wish the PSI gauge wasn't in bar though. damnit!

What size are those? They look pretty big to be 60mm. I'm starting to consider those gauges even though I don't like the boost being bar. BUT I don't want a gauge pod, I want them on the a pillar.

Does anybody have pics of the regular Defi gauges? I'd like to see how they light at night.

#44 ·
mbpWRX said:
i really like that idea of mounting the CU in the glovebox. looks like i will be mounting my Apexi' EL control unit in there. thanks!
i figured that i will not be using the control unit that much and i don't want to have too much stuff out in the open for people to see and think about stealing...

#45 ·
verbal said:
Those look sooooo nice! I really wish the PSI gauge wasn't in bar though. damnit!

What size are those? They look pretty big to be 60mm. I'm starting to consider those gauges even though I don't like the boost being bar. BUT I don't want a gauge pod, I want them on the a pillar.

Does anybody have pics of the regular Defi gauges? I'd like to see how they light at night.
thanks...

they are 60mm...

at first i wanted psi like you but i saw the opening and closing mode of these gauges and i was sold..too damn cool :D

#46 ·
WRC_Obsessed said:
thanks...

they are 60mm...

at first i wanted psi like you but i saw the opening and closing mode of these gauges and i was sold..too damn cool :D
I'm almost sold on these gauges, I just wish they were cheaper. =)

How bright are they? Like I said, I changed my dash lights to blue. I'd like gauges that light blue or white. I like how these are white, but if they are too bright it wouldn't look right at all. Plus I don't want the brightness messing with my eyes while driving.

My turbo timer is already in bar. And I'd like to be able to glance at a gauge and KNOW what PSI I'm getting without having to think about it in my head.

#47 ·
verbal said:
I'm almost sold on these gauges, I just wish they were cheaper. =)

How bright are they? Like I said, I changed my dash lights to blue. I'd like gauges that light blue or white. I like how these are white, but if they are too bright it wouldn't look right at all. Plus I don't want the brightness messing with my eyes while driving.

My turbo timer is already in bar. And I'd like to be able to glance at a gauge and KNOW what PSI I'm getting without having to think about it in my head.
Brightness can be adjusted. There are 10 stages of brightness, 5 stages in the daytime and 5 stages in the nighttime. The brightness decreases being interlocked with the illumination switch on. What you see in the pics is as bright as they get.

Check out the opening and closing mode too...this is what sold me...

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/dl/bf/bf_top.htm

#49 ·
I wanted to pose a question to the list regarding gauge choice. I am developing another package that will have higher-end gauges and wanted to know what everyone would prefer. I think that the choice would be between Greddy, Defi, and Omori. If you were buying gauges indifidually, or as a kit, which would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

J.B. Hebert
www.WRXtra.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.