How to mount a UTEC remote switch in switch blank?

This is a discussion on How to mount a UTEC remote switch in switch blank? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a UTEC and got the remote switch. I would like to put it in the first switch blank ...

How to mount a UTEC remote switch in switch blank?

I have a UTEC and got the remote switch. I would like to put it in the first switch blank to the left of the steering wheel. Can anyone give me directions, instructions or guidance on how to get the UTEC remote switch in this switch blank?

Thanks,
    Rich
    2002 WRX WRB

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Doc
    Rich,

You might have already got it mounted, but here is how I did it...

Open the coin tray/fuse panel cover. You can now reach up and pop-out the switch blank. Feed the wire through the hole and pop the switch in. That part is less than 2 minutes work.

Now here comes the fun part. You need to get the white connector over to the passenger compartment. Put a light in the passenger footwell. Now look behind the dash from the drivers side towards the passenger side. You should be able to see some light in at least two places. It took me forever to get the wire through though. I tried using a fish, tieing string to the connector and pulling it through from the passenger side, etc. What ended up working for me was pushing it through with a very long screw driver. It's a very tight fit. I kind of which TXS would have just left the connector off (but had the pins on the end of the wire). I'd have much rather just went to radio shak and bought a $2 pin pusher to put the connector on after I fished the wire behind the dash.
    Doc

2003 WRX Sedan
    PE1818F Turbo
    TurboXS Version II TMIC
    UTEC
    TurboXS catless up-pipe
    ScoobySport catless down-pipe
    ScoobySport catless mid-pipe
    Borla cat-back exhaust
    PE 650cc injectors
    Walbro GSS342 fuel pump
    Perrin Fuel Rail
    FJO Wideband O2 datalogger
    Omori 52mm EGT
    Omori 52mm Oil temp
    Omori 52mm Oil Pressue
    Rev-lite t-sport sequential shift light

No bling, I can't afford any...

Thanks for the instructions , I was doing the same thing but gave up. I guess I will have to be more forceful. I agree about the pin pusher it would make life alot simpler.
    Thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Doc
    Rich,

You might have already got it mounted, but here is how I did it...

Open the coin tray/fuse panel cover. You can now reach up and pop-out the switch blank. Feed the wire through the hole and pop the switch in. That part is less than 2 minutes work.

Now here comes the fun part. You need to get the white connector over to the passenger compartment. Put a light in the passenger footwell. Now look behind the dash from the drivers side towards the passenger side. You should be able to see some light in at least two places. It took me forever to get the wire through though. I tried using a fish, tieing string to the connector and pulling it through from the passenger side, etc. What ended up working for me was pushing it through with a very long screw driver. It's a very tight fit. I kind of which TXS would have just left the connector off (but had the pins on the end of the wire). I'd have much rather just went to radio shak and bought a $2 pin pusher to put the connector on after I fished the wire behind the dash.
    Please take some pictures or you set up and the switch. This would be very informative for the rest of the members.

Doc
    My digital camera is on vacation in Jamaca for 2 weeks. Unfortunately I am not.

From what I can tell the connector will never just be pulled through the dash. There looks to be two plastic tabs protruding off the dash that it gets hung up on. This is where I had to use a long screwdriver and force the connector between the two tabs.

On another note, I just put in a gauge pod (subaru factory pod). It might actually be easier and cleaner to pull your gauge pod/clock off and route the switch up through there.
    Doc

2003 WRX Sedan
    PE1818F Turbo
    TurboXS Version II TMIC
    UTEC
    TurboXS catless up-pipe
    ScoobySport catless down-pipe
    ScoobySport catless mid-pipe
    Borla cat-back exhaust
    PE 650cc injectors
    Walbro GSS342 fuel pump
    Perrin Fuel Rail
    FJO Wideband O2 datalogger
    Omori 52mm EGT
    Omori 52mm Oil temp
    Omori 52mm Oil Pressue
    Rev-lite t-sport sequential shift light

No bling, I can't afford any...

Blanks... does anyone know where I could get any? I used the 2 on the left of the handbrake but would like to replace them with new blanks. Please let me know what the part number is or where to find some. Thanks.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

The utec switch comes premounted in a blank, you just plug it into the hole... or whatever.

Thanks, but I just want 2 blanks. I'm sorry, I just posted here since I assume that you guys could know where to get blanks.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

Originally posted by ticrab
    Thanks, but I just want 2 blanks. I'm sorry, I just posted here since I assume that you guys could know where to get blanks.
    I'd also like to know, i wasn't so good w/ the dremmel the first time around .

Originally posted by ticrab
    http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=930-1

I'm pretty sure its part#66244F. You can probably also get it at the dealer, but I'm sure they'll rip you off for it.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

You dam man! Damn, this is sweet. I went on that site before and never saw that drawing. Thanks a lot!!!
    Yep, it's the 66244F I'm looking for.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com