06 WRX TR - New Speaker wiring for new speakers?

This is a discussion on 06 WRX TR - New Speaker wiring for new speakers? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Went to the local Circuit City (I've had all my other cars done there) but when I asked about getting ...

06 WRX TR - New Speaker wiring for new speakers?

Went to the local Circuit City (I've had all my other cars done there) but when I asked about getting new speakers for my WRX the guy said Subaru includes an amp "somewhere" in the car, and I'd have to have all new wiring. I'm not even looking at component speakers, just regular 2-way/3-way speakers.

He also said that the rear doors take 6 1/2" speakers, not the 4" speakers Crutchfeld says. Decided to go to Best Buy, just to see what they'd say... and I'm surprised he even know what a Subaru was.

I'm not very comfortable doing this myself, so I'd rather pay to have someone do it, but I feel like I'm being rail roaded.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No.

Whoever gave you that info is trying to job you, or is simply an idiot.

I put Polk Audio speakers in my '06 TR, 6.5" in the front, 4" in the back doors. No need for any new wiring, maybe only some different mounting brackets, since the stock speakers are not very deep, I can't remember.

EDIT: PS: the stock speakers are terrible, and I would 100% recommend the Polk's.

That's kind of what I thought. He was also telling me I could fit 6 1/2 speaks in the rear, which I knew couldn't be right.

I was looking at the Polk's, but now I may get a pair of Infinity's Reference 6 1/2" and same speakers only 4". Circuit City didn't have a lot of 4" speakers. If I had the balls I'd just do it myself, but I'm too chicken.

do it yourself! You'll appreciate it sooooo much more!

The door takes 5 minutes to get off and once you do that you'll be thumpin in 30! It's really really easy to install new speakers. Take the old ones out, connect the wires and you're done!
    Stage II and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    do it yourself! You'll appreciate it sooooo much more!

The door takes 5 minutes to get off and once you do that you'll be thumpin in 30! It's really really easy to install new speakers. Take the old ones out, connect the wires and you're done!
    This is true! As long as you don't get speakers that are significantly deeper then the stockers (in which case you would need special mounting brackets), speakers are simply plug and play.

I had thesame question. Just bought some eclipse speakers, and the cuirciut city rep. told me there was an amp that the factory head unit is wired to, and that for my new head unit (eclipse 5435 Nav.) I need to wire the speakers directly to the unit? Is this true (I drive a 2006 STI). I thought the amp and everything was in the head unit itself. any advice???