06' Rex Momo Shifter knob boot slop question.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06' Rex Momo Shifter knob boot slop question. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just installed my momo carbon shifter knob on my Rex and it slid in smooth, however i was unable ...

NYCDieselWRX

06' Rex Momo Shifter knob boot slop question.

I just installed my momo carbon shifter knob on my Rex and it slid in smooth, however i was unable to attach the boot, it wont stay on. The stock knob has a recessed lip that you can snap the boot to, this knob dont....is there any tricks you guys know? Here are some shots... HeYelp

*side note* i had an s4 EffN with me on the streetz...it was quick and was loud was all up in my face...so i tried to keep up i couldnt tell it was moded or not, but i kept having trouble with the shifting: long throw and odd shaped knob(stock knob earlier tonight), shifting out of second in high rpms wasnt smooth(needless to say i got totaly took nights like that i miss my Z) and would plop out ugly-ly im really not loving this clutch....i guess ill get used to it?

i need some power damnit!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sloppy.jpg   slopper 2.jpg   slop angle.jpg  
    Last edited by NYCDieselWRX; 12-21-2006 at 09:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The problems you are having with shifting and clutch are not attributed to the boot. The clutch is quite a bit more grabby compared to many other production cars...this is good. The shifter is a more direct rod-actuated link as opposed to many cable-shifters found and the harsh syncros make it hard to shift if your rpms are not properly matched.

You should practice, find the proper point to engage and you'll find it will be easier in the future.

As for fixing the boot, various people retrofit and put in their own collars of sorts. This includes everything from rubberbands and zip ties to making up a nut and washer combo.

For the boot. If you had gotten the Subaru EDM momo airleather knob (looks like yours but with leather instead of CF) it has a little lip at the bottom like the OEM knob. It's an exact fit and it says "Subaru MOMO" on the knob.

However there are ways as schischwein said to attach this one.

As for the clutch its jsut a practice issue. When I got the Z I was so used to the WRX that it took me a while to get used to the new car. It goes both ways, and if you get another manual car after the WRX you'll probably have to get used to that to. Practice practice practice.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

NYCDieselWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by schischwein View Post
    making up a nut and washer combo.
    thanks guys for the info and yes that sound slike an amzing idea!! i can get a nut and washer and just thread it under the knob and screw it up till it meets the end of the knob....or i could return the knob and get the airleather one with the lip made for subaru...had i known that i woulda got the airleather one isntead of the CF one....it looks and feels GREAT!! i might just keep it if i can pull the boot up...any more ideas any one?? so far the nut and washer deal sounds perfect!!! if i could find a nut and washer big enough?? anyone know the size of the thread on the stock/OEM Shiftter Shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDieselWRX View Post
    or i could return the knob and get the airleather one with the lip made for subaru...had i known that i woulda got the airleather one isntead of the CF one
    It'd probably be easier just do fix it I've seen threads about it before if not here than on nasioc.

If you do decide to return it be sure to get the EDM Subaru Airleather MOMO knob. Theres also a generic momo air leather which will have the same issue as what you have now.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCDieselWRX View Post
    thanks guys for the info and yes that sound slike an amzing idea!! i can get a nut and washer and just thread it under the knob and screw it up till it meets the end of the knob....or i could return the knob and get the airleather one with the lip made for subaru...had i known that i woulda got the airleather one isntead of the CF one....it looks and feels GREAT!! i might just keep it if i can pull the boot up...any more ideas any one?? so far the nut and washer deal sounds perfect!!! if i could find a nut and washer big enough?? anyone know the size of the thread on the stock/OEM Shiftter Shaft?
    Yes you would need the Subaru specific knob+retainer and not the generic Momo Airleather.

I don't remember offhand what the threading is, but you should be able to find it at Home Hardware. Find a washer that won't be intrusive or obvious(ie not too big to stick away from the knob). DEBURR the washer if needed to prevent it from ruining the boot. Pick up some loctite or any threadlocker, blue loctite should be tight enough. Degrease the thread area that you'll add loctite before you apply.

As you won't be able to really turn down the knob further, you'll want to mark the lowest point on the thread that the knob reaches. You'll then have to do a bit of trial and error at turning up the nut and washer while having enough room for the boot.

NYCDieselWRX

i did it!

thanks for the info friend... i actually was able to find a couple of fixes. First i wasnt able to find a nut to thread onto the shaft itself like i wanted to(wanted to thread a nut and add a washer on the top side and then u just loosen the nut till the boot meets the desired length), for some reason home Dep. didnt have the correct threading needed.

I found a body clip that works perfectly, i simply unsnapped the housing, clipped the body clip intoplace, snapped the housing back into place and viola! it works perfect and is adjustable too. The only problem is that its kinda odd shaped and looks a little crumpled and...well youll see in the pictures i post later on.

By no means is this the finished product, im gonna hunt down that nut and washer combo and im sure thats the cleanest fit theres gonna be.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.