Is the 2006 WRX satellite-ready?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is the 2006 WRX satellite-ready? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Crazy question... Looking to buy my fiance a satellite radio for Christmas, but not sure it's worth it. I've heard ...

Is the 2006 WRX satellite-ready?

Crazy question...

Looking to buy my fiance a satellite radio for Christmas, but not sure it's worth it. I've heard that if the car isn't "satellite ready," it merely transmits the radio frequencies through the regular radio and the quality and reception suffer. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    SubieGrl2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SubieGrl2006 View Post
    Crazy question...

Looking to buy my fiance a satellite radio for Christmas, but not sure it's worth it. I've heard that if the car isn't "satellite ready," it merely transmits the radio frequencies through the regular radio and the quality and reception suffer. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    SubieGrl2006
    hmmm i think the 2006 wrx isnt satellite ready, the 2007 wrx supports it
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

DO NOT buy it if it goes through a radio station. The reception SUCKS!
    Stage II and loving it!

Thanks! :)

Got any other ideas for a guy who recently bought his 2006 WRX? No mods yet, but he wants to play with it.

Got any other ideas for a guy who recently bought his 2006 WRX? No mods yet, but he wants to play with it.
    used v 1.0 AP (cobb access port)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Swaybars ? helps with the handling without sacrificing comfort
    "Love each other or perish" Morrie Schwartz
    "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Morrie Schwartz
    06 crystal grey metallic wrx wagon SOCAL F4 #24
    MY SPACE! Hawk-Eye Alliance #039
    Originally Posted by Speedette
    "modding is a disease...but a positive disease, like Chlamydia!"

Hmm...

v 1.0 AP cobb access port?
    swaybars?
    I'm already lost.
    Maybe I should just get him a Visa GiftCard...

v 1.0 AP cobb access port?
    swaybars?
    I'm already lost.
    Maybe I should just get him a Visa GiftCard...
    Well definantly get him a Visa GiftCard. Then he can do whatever he wants!

But on the topic of the original post. The 06 WRX are sirius capable/"they support it". This means it is/was an option on the 06s from the factory. To further clarify, to support it means that it has the wiring to have the module installed but one with have to order the module and the antenna. Note that a module is different from a "starmate" or a "sporters". A module is a funky metal thing that gets hidden somewhere in the car and wired to the radio and then the satellite comes through the radio, if you subscribe. Sirius ready, means the module is already installed and you just have to activate it. The other option, which is less clean, is to simply buy a satellite radio, it will run over the stock radio, through a transmitter or some sort, but it won't run through the stock controls as it would with a module.

Sorry if that sounds complicated but I believe that is the situation with the 06 wrx's. I know the module was definantly an option from the factory, don't know if it can be added post purchase. Or maybe when I saw this I was in fact configuring an 07 but thought it was an 06 Hard to say because I was configuring cars in October, but ended up with a leftover 06, so I don't know when the setup changed from 06 to 07 on the website.

In retrospect, forget all of this and go with the giftcard.
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

heheheee

Quote Originally Posted by GateWRXING View Post
    In retrospect, forget all of this and go with the giftcard.

I love it! I'm with you. Gift card it is.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    DO NOT buy it if it goes through a radio station. The reception SUCKS!

You must have a crappy reciever because i have never had any problems with radio reception......dont get me wrong, it's not CD quality but it's much better than any FM radio
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    You must have a crappy reciever because i have never had any problems with radio reception......dont get me wrong, it's not CD quality but it's much better than any FM radio
    IMO its all about where you live with the fm transmitters/fm modulators. If you live in a fairly open place away from major cities with moderate/little FM output, that is their aren't too many FM stations, your going to get some nice quality. In suburban NJ right outside New York where one in every three fm channels are either being directly outputted on or are right next to a strong signal, then the FM transmitters are hard to get great quality. When I travel to Upstate, NY I get great quality with the transmitter, the closer I get to a bigger city, the worse it gets. Tape deck to cd/ipod player cords are thee closest thing to CD quality though. Barnone. Damn 06s with their fancy tapeless radio players.
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by GateWRXING View Post
    If you live in a fairly open place away from major cities with moderate/little FM output, that is their aren't too many FM stations, your going to get some nice quality. In suburban NJ right outside New York where one in every three fm channels are either being directly outputted on or are right next to a strong signal, then the FM transmitters are hard to get great quality. When I travel to Upstate, NY I get great quality with the transmitter, the closer I get to a bigger city, the worse it gets. Tape deck to cd/ipod player cords are thee closest thing to CD quality though. Barnone. Damn 06s with their fancy tapeless radio players.
    We live in DC. Sucks to be us.

Gift card and link to this thread. It shows you really tried to do the hardware, or call Crutchfield. Too late for mail order, but they are very good at aftermarket stereo.

Merry Christmas.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Too late for mail order? ... I think not.

Just talked with the fine folks at Crutchfield and they helped find what I needed, but they were unable to meet their competitor's pricing on what I decided upon. Both vendors, however, were offering free overnight shipping for the holiday. My order will arrive at my folks' place (which is where we're spending Christmas) on Friday by 3PM.
    I decided to go with the thinger-bobber that is hardwired to the FM wiring... gets better reception and the price was definitely right on the whole shebang. The car kit was included in the price with the "holiday bundle." I even got the home kit, free activation, 1 month free, 3 months of service, AND a free t-shirt! I upgraded to five months of service for my sweetie and still made it in under what we agreed on as a holiday budget for one another!

I freakin' LOVE internet shopping! Thanks for all your help, friends!
    Happy holidays!

By the way...

I finally bought from Satellite Radio Superstore.
    http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/
    Don't tell me any horror stories about them until after the holidays...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast