Subaru WRX Forum banner

How to reduce outside noise

7K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Sasquatch 
#1 ·
I drove my fiances' 04 Tundra the other day and realized it is way quieter than my 03 WRX, especially when driving on the freeway. What can I do to make it quieter in my Suby. It's so loud I don't even talk on my cell when driving because I can't here what the other person is saying. Any info is appreciated.

#6 ·
Easiest way to fix this.... a lot of dynomat. Or another vehicle. I know many people complain about noise with our cars, but I have always ignored it.

Fun Factor > Road Noise

You think the WRX is bad, you should give an STi a go :).

Great car, but it basically says. "I go fast, and I am loud. Period."

Nuff said, y0'z

BTW: This post is not meant to be insulting. After I read it through again, I felt I am coming off a bit rude.

#7 ·
some new tires will help alittle :thumbup:

#12 ·
:confused: maby

#14 ·
Some strategically placed dynamat and a good serving of closed-cell foam (volara or ensolite for example) and you'll notice a significant reduction in overall noise. By using the foam (which is very light) you can really limit how much dynamat you use (you don't need much for this purpose), thus saving weight.

#16 ·
I changed tires and that made a big difference. The Falcons are load. I went with Kohmos.

I have been looking to do the same thing. First is to find where the noise is coming from. Have someone else drive while you listen for noises. If can use a tube held to your ear to help locate noises better.

If a panel is vibrating or ringing you don't need to cover the whole thing. A patch in the middle should help reduce it's sound.

Secure anything that is loose. :eek: It's obvious but look for the unknown stuff.

If you changed any bushings you made more noise come in.

Be careful with open cell foam, if it is in an area that can get wet it will rot and cause rust. Also some of the foams will brake down to dust after a year or two.

I found a good mat used for toolbox drawers at Harbor Freight Tools. It has great noise absorbing properties. :thumbup:

#17 ·
turn up the radio

done

#20 ·
I just spent yesterday putting about 40 square feet of Raamat in the rear end of my 02 wrx wagon. Sound deadening is non-existent in these cars; the only thing in the rear end of my car was a heavy rubber-lined mat over the shock towers and sides of the cargo bay.

I put a layer of raamat on the outer skin of the hatch, followed by a layer of Ensolite. Then I did the inner skin with mat and ensolite. As soon as I closed the hatch I knew I would be happy - a solid thud. I covered pretty much everything in the rear cargo area with the mat. The cargo floor and spare tire well got a double layer in a couple spots; the metal over the muffler is just about the most resonant part in the whole car - not a good design. Anything not covered by the stock rubber mat also got a layer of ensolite.

Drove to work today - a huge difference. Exhaust is a little quieter, bumps sound much better and road noise from the rear tires is a down by a lot. I'm hoping to have enough left to do all the doors, but I doubt it. I'll start with the fronts since that is supposed to help the most.

#22 ·
Just mat your doors, that cuts out a tremendous amount of noise. Before i did my stereo install, my car was LOOOUUUUDDDDDDDD.

After I cant hear as much roadnoise, but now i hear my exhaust much more.

Way way better. I used the dynamat extreme trunk kit to do my doors and still had some leftover of the 5th sheet. Cant beat that for $60!

#29 ·
#32 ·
It worked well for me, but you are right about most of the crap brands, there are others on ebay that just look and sound too good to be true. I have heard that some of it is junk and will fall off and even worse not stick to begin with. But I'll back the fatmat product and say it worked well for me. :thumbup:

Either product should help the OP out, the stuff works great for drowning highway noise and exhaust drone if you have aftermarket tbe or cbe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.