2006-V1 Hardwire

This is a discussion on 2006-V1 Hardwire within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What up everyone, with the 06 having no tape player, I need the cig. lighter for my ipod setup, and ...

2006-V1 Hardwire

What up everyone, with the 06 having no tape player, I need the cig. lighter for my ipod setup, and given the fact that I have a v1 that came with a hardwire kit, I figured now is as good as a time as ever to install it. I DID SEARCH for this and all I can find is wiring through the auto dimming compass, problem is I don't have the Auto Dimming mirror on the 06 wrx. If anyone can point me to a SIMPLE SIMPLE hardwire tutorial or steps for an 06 or an 05-02 without an autodimming that'd be great, I don't want to buy anything and I want this to be fairly simple. I believe I have all the parts that I need to do this, just need some guidance. thanks guys!
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump for 2006 wiring diagram
    REXinCO

2006 WRX wagon
    *you can call it a wagon, it's got the balls to back it up.

Although you don't have the dimming mirror, the power wiring is still there. So you can go ahead and follow these directions. Don't bother with the plastic tubing to hold the wires (it actually takes up more room, and mine didn't have all that much wire anyway. One note: the '06 models don't use color coding on the wires. IIRC there are three wires, two are black (or gray) and one has a stripe on it - that's the live (same as blue in the directions).

PS I know you don't want to buy anything, but you need a 12" phone cord

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Post some pics of the steps while you doing it on the '06 if you can, also some pics of the finished product would be cool... I'm looking into doing the same thing once I get a V1.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

hmm

The V1 kit came with extra wire as well...I'm gonna attempt this soon, Is there anyway I could mess this up so bad that it could do permanent damage to the car? I'll take a stab at it, but only if messing it up will affect the detector or just do nothing, not if I'm gonna mess anything up long term...

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

I just hardwired my V1 on my 2006 STI....I have the auto dimming mirror already installed, so I didn't tap into the power there. I have the V1 mounted right above my rear view mirror and run the cable around the driver side headliner, to the pillar, under the dash, and used the supplied hardware to tap into the wire behind the cigarette lighter. it took me about 10-15 minutes to finish the whole job and the only place you can see a wire is right at the V1 where it goes behind the headliner.

I wasn't sure the circuit for the mirror is capable of handling the lights, mirror, and the V1 all all the sametime.

Last edited by GateWRXING; 11-15-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

^^^ great writeup, thanks

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013