Boost Gauge "Tick"
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boost Gauge "Tick" within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have installed a omori boost gauge, and am experiencing a *tick* sound when the needle is at about 13-15 ...

Boost Gauge "Tick"

I have installed a omori boost gauge, and am experiencing a *tick* sound when the needle is at about 13-15 psi. I have checked to make sure that all connections were secure, and that the gauge is mounted secure. Is this just a noise to be expected, or is there a solution to the problem? I have the lines running to the manifold, between the check valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had the same problem when I first installed my omori boost guage. I installed it the same location you installed it. I moved the vacume line to the line comming off the BPV and the rattle/flutter went away.

I think the root of the rattle/flutter was a disconected line under where I first hooked it up. I didnt figure this out until latter. I was also getting a CEL code once in a while. (P0457 )

Checkout this thread for details on my problem: Cel P0457

I'm not very happy with my omori guage. I eliminated the rattle/flutter at boost but now it rattles all the time when I hit bumbs in the road.

Thanks for the reply, I will have to go out and make sure that the hoses are all connected properly. I think that it's crazy to have a gauge costing $150, making noises. I wrote 3 emais to omori, and they finally responded after the 3rd. They said that it's "normal" for the gauge to make some ticking noise, because the gauge is so sensitive and accurate.

for all that trouble I would just go get an autometer sport-comp for 60 bucks and call it a day.

Very dissapointing to hear an expensive gauge like that causing you problems.

I just went out in the garage, and installed the t-fitting by the bpv instead of by the manifold.. and the ticking went away. Pretty crazy, seeing how the installation guide shows to install it by the manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
    I just went out in the garage, and installed the t-fitting by the bpv instead of by the manifold.. and the ticking went away. Pretty crazy, seeing how the installation guide shows to install it by the manifold.

good to here. Glad you got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXforME View Post
    Good deal

I think I initialy followed the same instructions as you. By the BPV is where the stock boost gauge T's in. I think im going to replace my omori gauge with something else eventualy. I just havn't found much of a selection for 45mm boost gauges.

There were a few that I thought were pretty cool, like the HKS.. but I wasn't about to pay $250 for something that isn't that significant.

Strange...I have an Autometer gauge, hooked up at the BPV with a metal reducing "T", and I have that ticking sound. It only happens at boost over 13 or so psi...

Any ideas guys?

I am using softer nylon tubing...not the hard line crap that comes with the gauge.

There are no leaks. I hold 17.5 psi in third gear....(stage 1.5-2)...

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

This is a pretty old thread, I think it was in October of 2006 when I bought my gauge. I have no problems with it anymore. When I switched to the chrome T fitting, the sound went away for the most part. Now for some reason, the noise went away 100%. I don't know if the gauge just needed some time to break in or what. Good luck though, hopefully you get it resolved. One tip that may help you, make sure that all of the connections are very tight. Even behind the gauge, make sure to use one of those zip ties.
    AP Stage 2- 2006 WRX TR (WRB)

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.