help with gauges

This is a discussion on help with gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; looking to get gauges but not sure which i need. 1 boost/vac 2 EGT? 3 Oil pressure or Oil temp? ...

help with gauges

looking to get gauges but not sure which i need.

1 boost/vac
    2 EGT?
    3 Oil pressure or Oil temp?

what exactly does EGT gauge measure?

any advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

EGT will mesure the gas temp. if its high then that means a lean Air/Fule mix
    works like an air/fule gauge

boost gauge is a must

egt and oil pressure really only needed when you start to get more serious in modding

if you get an egt make sure to put it close to the cylinders not in the uppipe that to far away and will be useless
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

thanks guys for the responses.

i dont plan on any serious modding.

i just think one gauge will look silly on the pillar. i want at least 2 i think. any other recommendations?

just get a single pod then... If you dont plan on serious modding the egt and others are just waisted money. Boost however is nice to have. Plus the tripple gauge pods look ugly imho.

now the tripple gauge pod that goes in the clock space looks good. Just not the tripple a-pillar ones. Of course this is just my opinion.

get a pod like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Omori...42313166QQrdZ1

or there is a really nice one that tucks up in the left corner of the windshield that I like, somewhere on here is a thread on gauge set ups let me look I think I posted my setup on it
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

I don't think oil pressure is all that much of a waste of money. It will tell you something is wrong way before your idiot light comes on. I realize that something shouldn't ever really go wrong with your oil system if you aren't heavily modding your car but its not a bad thing to have just in case. Maybe a volt meter if you just want another gauge so your car doesn't look funny considering the stock gauge cluster doesn't have one.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    I don't think oil pressure is all that much of a waste of money. It will tell you something is wrong way before your idiot light comes on. I realize that something shouldn't ever really go wrong with your oil system if you aren't heavily modding your car but its not a bad thing to have just in case. Maybe a volt meter if you just want another gauge so your car doesn't look funny considering the stock gauge cluster doesn't have one.
    +1 on volt meter forgot about that one I use my turbo timer as my volt meter and has saved me in the past
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

thx again for the responses.

my radar detector has a volt meter i use that.

i'm def going w/ the boost.

is installation difficult for the oil pressure? is it safe? i dont want to lose all my oil on the highway next time i punch it.

I personally am going with oil temp. I don't plan on going past stage 2 so oil temp will be beneficial when the weather gets colder i know when my oil is good and flowing so I can press the go pedal harder

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by raf1919 View Post
    thx again for the responses.

my radar detector has a volt meter i use that.

I'm def going w/ the boost.

is installation difficult for the oil pressure? is it safe? i dont want to lose all my oil on the highway next time i punch it.
    that depends on the gauge they all use different sender units (if electric gauge) mine was a pita to mount under the ic, but they sell oil filter sandwitches for sensor hook ups which I think would be real easy if you are capable of changing your own oil

do a search and you will find plenty of turorials on how to install them
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    that depends on the gauge they all use different sender units (if electric gauge) mine was a pita to mount under the ic, but they sell oil filter sandwitches for sensor hook ups which I think would be real easy if you are capable of changing your own oil

do a search and you will find plenty of turorials on how to install them
    wow that seems like it will makes things much easier. do these hook up as easy as they look? are they acurate and safe?

From what I understand, the sandwich adaptor (about 60 bucks) is fine for oil temp but not as accurate for oil pressure. The galley plug (about 9 bucks) under the intercooler is much better and more accurate for oil pressure.

Thre is one "gotcha" that I have found for the oil galley plug is that the part from Suabru is 1/8 PT (japanese standards). Most "cheaper" gauges such as autometer, VDO, glow shift etc. use a 1/8 NPT (US standards) which is almost the same but not quite the correct thread. You will cross thread the bolt if you try to put it in. The gauges that will fit in the subaru galley plug are the expensive japanese ones such as Defi, Greddy, Apexi Etc.

Unless someone makes an adapter that will fit a 1/8NPT to a 1/8PT then your only choice is to go sandwich adapter or an expensive gauge.

~myke
    ::2004 JBP WRX::

Quote Originally Posted by mykedude View Post
    From what I understand, the sandwich adaptor (about 60 bucks) is fine for oil temp but not as accurate for oil pressure. The galley plug (about 9 bucks) under the intercooler is much better and more accurate for oil pressure.

Thre is one "gotcha" that I have found for the oil galley plug is that the part from Suabru is 1/8 PT (japanese standards). Most "cheaper" gauges such as autometer, VDO, glow shift etc. use a 1/8 NPT (US standards) which is almost the same but not quite the correct thread. You will cross thread the bolt if you try to put it in. The gauges that will fit in the subaru galley plug are the expensive japanese ones such as Defi, Greddy, Apexi Etc.

Unless someone makes an adapter that will fit a 1/8NPT to a 1/8PT then your only choice is to go sandwich adapter or an expensive gauge.

~myke
    my prosport threaded just fine into the gallery plug but I had to make a brass offset since it would not fit screwing straight in
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works