Touch Panel Bezel?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Touch Panel Bezel? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, So I had this wonderful thing happen to me at work today... "Hey Justin," said Pete, "you know ...

Touch Panel Bezel?

Hey guys,

So I had this wonderful thing happen to me at work today...

"Hey Justin," said Pete, "you know all those alpha systems you built up with mac minis and 8.4 inch high resolution touch panel displays?"
    "Of course I do... I spent days working on them back in July."
    "Well, we don't need them any more."
    "What do you mean?" I asked, with my STi's stock radio in my mind.
    "I need you to get rid of them... they're of no use to us at all anymore."
    "Does that mean I could use one in my car?"
    "I don't care. You can do whatever you want, just get rid of them."

SA-WEEEEEEEEEEET.

Ok, but now how do I deal with making it all smooth and integrated? Are there bezels that will cover the edges? Do they come in custom sizes? Should I just go to town and mold my own badass fiberglass one that will come out a lot ****tier than I am visualizing in my mind?

Thanks in advance, all.

Also, what do you think about a mac mini handling my audio/video? It's a full computer that's in a convenient little 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" box with a DVD/CD drive right out the front.

-Justin
    Justin - 2006 STi Rally Blue
    New England F4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post

Ok, but now how do I deal with making it all smooth and integrated? Are there bezels that will cover the edges? Do they come in custom sizes? Should I just go to town and mold my own badass fiberglass one that will come out a lot ****tier than I am visualizing in my mind?

Thanks in advance, all.

Also, what do you think about a mac mini handling my audio/video? It's a full computer that's in a convenient little 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" box with a DVD/CD drive right out the front.

-Justin
    I'm a real mac head myself..... here are some questions / opinions I have when I considered this a while back:

1) yes, fiberglass custom bezel would be hot. lots of sanding, lots of bondo. lots of more sanding

2) if you plan on this being your main AV, what do you plan on doing for terrestial and/or satellite radio? how will you integrate a tuner?

3) custom .app for switching between apps, or are you searching for the dock everytime?

4) during power on/off of the car, how do you plan on putting the mac to sleep and/or proper shutdown? I was thinking of a timed relay or using something from Sophisticated Circuits? Sophisticated Circuits

5) any integrated GPS?

Are these PowerPC mini's or Intel? if intel, did you plan on using a windows interface?
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    I'm a real mac head myself..... here are some questions / opinions I have when I considered this a while back:

1) yes, fiberglass custom bezel would be hot. lots of sanding, lots of bondo. lots of more sanding

2) if you plan on this being your main AV, what do you plan on doing for terrestial and/or satellite radio? how will you integrate a tuner?

3) custom .app for switching between apps, or are you searching for the dock everytime?

4) during power on/off of the car, how do you plan on putting the mac to sleep and/or proper shutdown? I was thinking of a timed relay or using something from Sophisticated Circuits? Sophisticated Circuits

5) any integrated GPS?

Are these PowerPC mini's or Intel? if intel, did you plan on using a windows interface?
    OK, I have a lot of digging to do, as I'm not as mac oriented as you. I just like the fact that it's 6.5" x 6.5" and has pretty capable processing power.

1) I kinda want to do the fiberglass... hell... it's a good way to pass the time and learn a new skill.

2) That is a great f'n question. I have no clue, but I'll do some research to see how i can hook up my Sirius to it.

3) I'm not sure what you mean. This may be because i'm slightly mac-retarded.

4) I've disassembled and rebuilt these things 100 times (all it takes is a putty knife). The power circuit is INCREDIBLY easy to access and re route to somewhere else in the car. I'll likely mount the power button next to my ICC Spray button in the unused slot. I'm not sure if there's an appropriate place to hardwire it into the electronics, or if it would work to find 110W of current and hook power directly up to the car (or 85W if you're using the older version).

5) Yes, I'm looking into how I can work GPS with my cell phone's blue tooth. I think it can be done.

And these are the Intel based Minis, though I have access to both. I will be running either Parallels or Boot Camp, as AccessPort's software is PC only (I think).

Any expertise you can provide would be really really helpful. I'll obv. try to set this up first in my room or something, before I rip my STi apart.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by jr4284 View Post
    OK, I have a lot of digging to do, as I'm not as mac oriented as you. I just like the fact that it's 6.5" x 6.5" and has pretty capable processing power.

1) I kinda want to do the fiberglass... hell... it's a good way to pass the time and learn a new skill.

2) That is a great f'n question. I have no clue, but I'll do some research to see how i can hook up my Sirius to it.

3) I'm not sure what you mean. This may be because i'm slightly mac-retarded.

4) I've disassembled and rebuilt these things 100 times (all it takes is a putty knife). The power circuit is INCREDIBLY easy to access and re route to somewhere else in the car. I'll likely mount the power button next to my ICC Spray button in the unused slot. I'm not sure if there's an appropriate place to hardwire it into the electronics, or if it would work to find 110W of current and hook power directly up to the car (or 85W if you're using the older version).

5) Yes, I'm looking into how I can work GPS with my cell phone's blue tooth. I think it can be done.

And these are the Intel based Minis, though I have access to both. I will be running either Parallels or Boot Camp, as AccessPort's software is PC only (I think).

Any expertise you can provide would be really really helpful. I'll obv. try to set this up first in my room or something, before I rip my STi apart.

I'm all things Mac, UNIX (Sun & SGI), and Windows...but I like going back to the Mac because it's always the underdog. So the more things I can accomplish with a Mac the better.

I'll gladly help out. Feel free to PM me if you want to take this offline.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

http://www.mp3car.com/

and a subaru specific bezel...
    http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=73

there may be some good info there to be had.
    05 CGM WRX

This is EXACTLY like what I was looking for. I'll send them an e-mail and see if I can get the spec. drawing to see if I can mount up my touch display to it.

Thanks both of you. As I go through this process I'll be taking/posting pics to help others along their way (or at least to learn from my disaster!).
    New England F4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.