Covering Sun Visors - What Material and Color

This is a discussion on Covering Sun Visors - What Material and Color within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to cover our ugly sun visors with a different kind of fabric and/or not so cheap looking vinyl. ...

Covering Sun Visors - What Material and Color

I want to cover our ugly sun visors with a different kind of fabric and/or not so cheap looking vinyl. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm installing a lighted vanity mirror in the passenger side sun visor (for my wife she really hates putting lipstick on in the dark). Which basically requires that I cut it up to remove the foam material inside to get the mirror to fit flush with the roof.

My question is, when recovering the sun visor, should I go with:

Colors:
    Black
    Gray (close to the stock color)
    Dark Gray (to match the Armrest extension)
    Blue (to match the seats and trim)

Materials:
    More Vinyl (but not as cheap looking)
    Cloth (similar to the seats)
    Fuzzy cloth (like the roof)

When I'm done, I'll post the whole thing in the Tutorial section so all you guys with hot girlfriends/wives won't have to hear them complain anymore about not having a nice vanity mirror.

Currently, I'm leaning towards Gray Fuzzy Cloth, or Dark Gray Fuzzy Cloth. There's an industrial fabric store here in Seattle where I know I can find what I want.

Let me know what you guys think!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Koji,

Great idea! Thanks for doing the leg work on this one. Erin will love you/me/us for getting this done! Her lipstick is VERY important to her.

I put my vote in for the dark gray cloth...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Yeah, I'm almost positive I'm going to go with the dark gray cloth.

I was originally going to use parts from radio sack to do this mod, but then I decided against it. In the Forrester, the Sun Visors have hollow tubes that attach to the roof so you can put the wires throught them, then splice into the center light console. No such luck with the WRX.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, and trying to come up with my own solution, I found this on www.schucks.com (part 449x)

If you cut the visors right, this thing sits flush with the roof, AND I don't have to worry about wiring. I've already got it in there, although it looks a little ghetto because you can see a few tiny cuts around the corners, hence the recovering. It's a good solution to our little "problem"
    Last edited by koji; 12-18-2002 at 10:30 AM.

i put my vote in for the grey/dark grey fuzzy cloth for the new covering.... sounds like its gonna look nice, post some pix when complete... the wife might actually like a mod i do to the car
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

he wife might actually like a mod i do to the car
    Werd.

I'll post it in tutorial when I'm done since there is a fair amount of cutting involved and it's possible to screw this one up pretty easily