Changing the green backlighting in the '06
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing the green backlighting in the '06 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if it's possible to get rid of the ugly green for a more attractive blue or red? ...

Changing the green backlighting in the '06

I was wondering if it's possible to get rid of the ugly green for a more attractive blue or red? I haven't read much on this topic, nor have I seen pictures, but the STi's come in red correct? I'd love to redo the interior with blue, I think it would look MUCH nicer than the boring stock green
    '06 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

theres a thread on Nasioc about it. It involves buying bulb covers and sanding the back of the cluster.

I Support ClubWRX
    I did it on my '02. It was fine at the time because I was mod-money-deprived and was looking for a cheap thing to do to the car. If you want a "perfect" result, ie, the lighting is perfectly even across the cluster, very bright, etc, I'd save for an STI gauge cluster.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Ok through a lot of digging I found three excellent tutorials.

Radio and HVAC controls
    Guage Cluster
    Key Ring

I think I'm going to order some lamp covers and give this a try sometime this week.

edit: How much do the STi gauge clusters usually run?
    Last edited by Thaddy; 10-16-2006 at 09:54 AM.
    '06 WRB WRX

nevermind...

For those with '06's...check out this link.
    Last edited by Thaddy; 10-16-2006 at 07:47 PM.
    '06 WRB WRX

what? no more green film on the gauges?
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Yeah it looks like we get it easy. I'm going to try some of these this weekend I think, I just spent some time making sure I could get it all apart correctly. Seems the gauges are going to be fairly straightforward, but the stock CD player might give me trouble.

I'll be sure to update this thread if/when I make progress.
    '06 WRB WRX

wow awesome find. If you do it sometime soon please post your experience and if u can give some pics that would be awesome. Ive wanted to do this too but the sanding thing scared me, without having to do that makes it very tempting. Just not sure how bright they will come out

Maybe I'm retarded, but I couldn't find in the link where they changed the Gauge cluster color. So on the 06 there's no film, but what's lighting up the gauges? Bulbs with green condoms, or green LED's or what?

For those that want to do blue, the best results I've seen came from a guy who used LED's (can't remember if they were white or blue) and faced them backwards towards the front of the car. This allowed the light to diffuse. he also used some gels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I couldn't find in the link where they changed the Gauge cluster color. So on the 06 there's no film, but what's lighting up the gauges? Bulbs with green condoms, or green LED's or what?
    From what I've read, that's how it seems to be.

For those that want to do blue, the best results I've seen came from a guy who used LED's (can't remember if they were white or blue) and faced them backwards towards the front of the car. This allowed the light to diffuse. he also used some gels.
    I ordered both red and blue bulb covers, so maybe I'll try them both out and see how the blue turns out. If it's too teal looking with 2 bulb covers per light, I'll just use red I guess. Blue would be nice, as I'd really like to get a matching Passport 8500 X50 with the blue LED's
    '06 WRB WRX

All right, I found the link I was talking about.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...1&page=8&pp=20

This guy used blue gels/leds and faced the LED's backwards with good results.

Check it out.

I might do this mod soon if I get time. I got about 100 superbright white LED's for free from work. Average output is 9,000 Lux ! Dang.

Wanna send me enough of those LEDs? I'll pay for shipping.

Thaddy, when you do it, please take pictures.
    Last edited by Bboy AJ; 10-18-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    2006 WRX TR

I'll have to see. First I'm going to try it to make sure they'll work, but if I have enough (and I don't need to return what I don't use) I could probably send you some. Just want to make sure I won't get in trouble first as they were expensive LEDs.

--Craig

yea make sure to take lots of pics, i wanna see how well this works!

Can anyone confirm for a fact that there isn't a green film on the back of the 06 gauges? I might do the mod this weekend, but it depends on whether or not my friend goes to the track. He just rebuilt his 70 cuda to 500+hp and I'd like to see his first time tracking it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.