Changing the green backlighting in the '06 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing the green backlighting in the '06 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I did all of the mods this weekend except for the gauge pod, but I'll get to that eventually. ...

Ok, I did all of the mods this weekend except for the gauge pod, but I'll get to that eventually.

For those with '06 TR's, this is incredibly easy, but make sure you have someone to help with small hands. The cigarette lighter was the easiest. Just unplug the power to the lighter itself and unscrew the bulb from it's housing. It should take about a quarter of a turn to release it (this goes for all of the bulbs).

You can see here the green and white wire in the bottom right of the picture, that's for the light.

The HVAC is light by the two bulbs right beneath the AC and Defrost buttons. However, reaching them can be a pain. I had to take out the headunit, and reach around the back of the HVAC contols to unscrew the bulbs. The one on the right is simple, but the one on the left is partially blocked by the power cord running to the HVAC controls, so you might have to wiggle it a bit to get it out. This is where someone with small hands will help greatly.

Now, for the headunit, you just have to get the gray faceplate off, show here:

It's held on by some plastic tabs, so use a small flat head screwdriver and take your time prying them up and out a bit. They are very fragile and can break easily. Once you have the faceplate out, I'd suggest taking a break and going inside to sit down. You'll need steady hands for this part.

See the entire green pcb in the last picture? You need to slowly wedge that part out. It's held in by some clear tabs that hold it securely into the gray frame. Just slowly pry it out, and make sure you take the volume knob off! It can be a tad hard to get off, but trust me, it pops right off too.

Once you have the pcb out you'll quickly realize what needs done. Take off the green covers and put on the red ones! This is harder than you think though. I wet the inside of the red bulb covers, then slid them on inside out. It's the only way to do it without getting a pocket of air between the bulb and bulb cover. Take your time too, and have a small screw driver handy. Once the cover gets near the base of the bulb, you can use a small screw driver to tuck it between the plastic holding the bulb in place, and the bulb itself. This will keep any clear light from escaping. Also, you might have to trim some of the red bulb covers before putting them on.

The keyring looks tough, but it wasn't that bad. Simply take the bottom and top plastic pieces off of the steering column and use your fingers to wedge out the bulb. It can be tough, but it's the only way I know, since I couldn't get the whole assembly out. Note: To take off the top steering column cover, remove the dash ring first. This will provide enough clearance.

After that, put it all back together!

First though, here are some tips for the HVAC controls.Color the bulbs red with a Sharpie and use 2 bulb covers. This yields best results and if not done, they'll won't look as red as the CD player.

I just redid the HVAC with two bulbs and the sharpie today, so I don't have any at night pictures, but I'll get some later today.
    '06 WRB WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here are some night shots:

Interior light on:

Interior light off:

The sharpie and second bulb cover is definitely needed for the cigarette lighter and HVAC controls, they look just right in these pictures. Also, the key ring could use it too.

Now, someone with an '06 needs to get busy on the gauge cluster! I've got some leftover bulb covers, but won't have time until next weekend.
    '06 WRB WRX

I did my gaues this weekend with blue stage gels and bright white LED's wired separately from the stock lighting. I have pics of the setup from my living room running of a power supply, but none of it in the car. The stock lighting is left alone to illuminate the needles while the rings of leds around the gauges light up the faceplates. The final color was an even deep royal blue that almost matches the car.

Here's the catch though. Total time spent this weekend modding gauges? 20+ hours. But they came out perfectly.

Wow, 20 hours?! I'd be willing to try it though if you could do a write-up. I don't mind spending the time if it'll come out nice.
    '06 WRB WRX

did you have to sand the gauges?

Yes. I later found out it would have been much easier if I had known ahead of time that if you bend the metal tabs for the stepper motors on the back of the circuit board you can wedge the needle/motor/gauge face assembly out of the plastic housing. I was trying to do it blind.

Also, I cut the tach and speedo faces apart. Don't worry about this looking bad though, the "aluminum" ring bezel hides this cut and it greatly simplifies the process. I used some nail polish remover on a qtip and rubbed that back and forth. After that, I used the cuticle remover thingy from a set of nail clippers to scrape away the softened green "film".

The film is really more of a multilayer screen printing that includes green, some white, and also some closely spaced black dots for diffusion patterns. This is why everyone gets hotspots, they remove the diffusion patterns and don't replace them. The way i got around this was to use the stock lights to light up the needles, and then used bright white LED's to override the effects of the stock lights.

I'll post some pics later as I have a pic of the leds inside the housing with the gauge faces off. Part of the reason it took so longs was I was in my living room (not at work where I have access to lab tools) and I was improvising my vices and whatnot. I could probably do it faster a second time around, but I only have one set of gauges.

Oh, and don't drive with no gauges in your car. I went .25 miles to radio shack without gauges, and it popped a cel. Frikkin.....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690378

use that thread for the basics of the mod. I just didn't sand them light they did, or simply replace the bulb colors, that causes the hot spotting you tend to see. With red the hot spotting isn't as bad or noticeable, but with the blue it stands out.

Check out this thread as well, page 8

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...1&page=8&pp=20

that's where I got the dual stock/led lighting idea from. My lights were a little darker blue though.

I can just push a few buttons and change my dash color to anything I want. total time spent - about 4 seconds.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

What car do you have? I hear some of the new mustangs do that. One thing I was considering is maybe redoing my gauges with some RGB leds...I only had 10 of them now though. But that would let me do any color as well.

--Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    What car do you have? I hear some of the new mustangs do that. One thing I was considering is maybe redoing my gauges with some RGB leds...I only had 10 of them now though. But that would let me do any color as well.

--Craig
    that's exactly what I have.

it has like 6 preset colors you can flip to (all the major colors....red orange green blue white purple)...or you can go into manual mode and adjust RGB levels manually. I believe the option has been discontinued on the '07's because it wasn't nearly as much of a selling point as they thought it would be...most people just don't care, and 95% end up just going with the blue and leaving it....so I believe the 07's will just come with blue lighting.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Hmm, I might try the sanding method this weekend. It depends on how ballsy I'm feeling...
    '06 WRB WRX

Try the nail polish/scraping method. In my opinion, the sanding could potentially gouge/mar the plastic faces, whereas the nail polish scraping method (didn't scrape with a sharp object) didn't damage the plastic itself at all.

See some preliminary pics here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1119752

--Craig

I'm re-doing all my green lights in my 02 to pink

Useful tutorial for non-hotspotting color changes.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1124644

(shameless plug for myself )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.